Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

4K/hdr not working

I just bought a 43 inch 4K 5 series tv. I’ve had it about 4 days and when I put on 4K movies from Disney+ or anywhere else the picture is snowy. Regular hd tv works fine. Any know what is causing this?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: 4K/hdr not working

Please provide some additional detail. I am assuming this is a TCL Roku TV. Please confirm the model number.

I have watched D+ recently and have no issues with 4K. Could you be a little more descriptive about what you are seeing? A "snowy" picture on a TV brings an image of a weak signal from OTA analog TV. Since all TV is now digital, I can't understand what you are seeing. Are you seeing pixel blocks, odd colors, or something else? HDR not displaying correctly is usually just a dull image that lacks any "snap". 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It was a snowy picture not sure why but I unplugged it for a minute and it fixed my issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@Justin32691 wrote:

It was a snowy picture not sure why but I unplugged it for a minute and it fixed my issue

Perhaps just a bad HDCP handshake on the HDMI connection. glad it cleared up. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Definitely not that, it was Disney+ from the tv itself no hdmi needed. Not sure what caused the issue I’m just glad it fixed itself.  Thank you 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Oh yeah, forgot it was a Roku TV. Smiley Embarassed

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Solution/Work around.

I  have a ROKU Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  on an LG 49UH6030. The LG software 05.30.90 is up to date

This LG TV  does not handle HDR properly.  The images are way too dark and no settings tweaking makes them acceptable. 

This problem is apparent on Prime Video via HDMI as well as on the Prime Video app installed on the LG OS.  My specific test video is the Amazon-produced Chi-Raq by Spike Lee.  I used a DVD of the same content on my upscaling Sony BD player as a control and the DVD disc displayed properly and far better than the 4K HDR streaming on this TV.

ROKU reports that the LG TV HDMI port is 4K, HDR, 60 Hz, HDCP 2.2 via the auto-detect in ROKU/Settings/Display_Type.

My solution is to choose the 4K, 60 Hz setting without HDR.  Now 4K videos that were detected by the TV as having HDR play properly. The LG TV has HDR-effect display settings for non-HDR items to compensate.

This LG-TV HDR issue does not appear to be exclusive to the ROKU Stick+ but ROKU's settings flexibility provided the work around that was needed for this TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Additional notes:

I put the ROKU/Settings/Display_type back to auto for the 4K, HDR, 60 Hz, HDCP 2.2  HDMI port.

I then streamed IronMan 4k, UHD, HDR via Disney+ and it was an awesome picture.

The LG TV handled the Disney+ HDR stream flawlessly.

There you have it.  ROKU wins. The Amazon Prime app failed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Ditto the Apple TV app.  4K UHD HDR content performed great via ROKU to the LG TV.

0 Kudos