Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tenohfive
Level 7

4K HDR 60hz issue - Roku or something else?

I've got a Roku Stick+, connected to my AVR (Denon X2400H) which in turn is connected to the 'does everything' HDMI port 3 of my Sony KD65XE9305 (X9300E.) the HDMI cable is an HDMI Premium 21gbps version.

When choosing display settings on the Roku I can have 4K@60hz, or 4K HDR@30hz - but not 4K HDR 60hz. I can force it into that mode and it'll work for awhile before throwing up an error screen citing HDCP issues.

As best I can tell I should be able to get 4K HDR 60hz - but am I missing something in the specs or the AVR, or cable? Or is this an issue at the Roku end?
I don't have any other 4K HDR sources to test.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 15

Re: 4K HDR 60hz issue - Roku or something else?

Can't speak to a Denon AVR, but my Yamaha AVR has a hidden menu that has a setting that had to be changed to enable 4K 60Hz. Yamaha labels it Mode 1 and Mode 2. Mode 1 is required for full passthrough, but came factory set on Mode 2. I've heard they finally changed their factory setting. Might dig into the Denon manual and see if there's something similar. And it didn't matter that I was set on video passthough. That setting was still enough to mess up 4K 60Hz passthrough.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 10

ATC is right - you need to enable "Enhanced" mode in your 4K settings on the Denon.  By default (Standard Mode), it only passes 4K 30 HDR OR 4K 60 8-bit HDR. You're going to want/need 4K 60 10-12 bit HDR via "Enhanced Mode"

See here from the manual:

0 Kudos
tenohfive
Level 7

I've changed it over to enhanced and it's now happy on 4K HDR 60 in Autodetect. Will see if the error message comes up again but that does sound like the problem there. Thanks everyone.
0 Kudos
donb
Level 7

So how do you enable enhanced mode?  I have a SONY KD50X690E 4K TV.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"donb" wrote:
So how do you enable enhanced mode?  I have a SONY KD50X690E 4K TV.  Thanks.

For him it was a setting in his AVR, not the TV. Although most 4K TVs also have a similar setting. On my Samsung TV, it's called UHD Color, and it has to be set for each HDMI port separately. I have no idea where it might be on a Sony TV.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos