Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedBatman89
Level 7

4:3 shows are zoomed in

So the other day I was watching Gundam Wing on and I noticed that when I watching the picture was greatly zoomed in and I was only able to fix it by skipping ahead a little and its back to the correct ratio. It does this with all shows at 4:3 until I skip ahead, I also thought that by getting the commercial free option would get rid of this issues since the commercials themselves would zoom in too but no it doesn't. I have only had this issue with Hulu so far. 
0 Kudos
6 Replies
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

Re: 4:3 shows are zoomed in

Try deleting the app, rebooting the device, and reinstalling Hulu. I watch dozens of 4:3 shows and have never seen this. I even tried Gundam Wing and it displayed in 4:3 properly.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RedBatman89
Level 7

I did and it still does, I'm using a Roku Premiere+
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

I was just about to edit my post asking what device you are using...another thread on this subject mentions the Premier. Both of my devices (3050 using composite and 4210 using 1080p HDMI, each also connected to a different AVR and TV) work correctly.
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Vinnyg32
Level 7

I have the same problem with the same Roku model(premiere+) after watching "I love Lucy" on Hulu with the wife and commercials cause picture zoom. Doesn't happen with any other app that I use nor does it happen before the first commercial runs for me. Took off Roku and plugged in Fire TV to watch the show on Hulu and zero problems occur. So whatever the problem is seems to be Roku specific.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

"Vinnyg32" wrote:
So whatever the problem is seems to be Roku specific.

Correction: Hulu not compatible with specific model of Roku. I'm going to be selfish here and admit I don't want Hulu to patch it. I've had problems in the past when Hulu did that, and do not want to rock the boat. Chances are it can be fixed for the Premier and not affect my devices, but...if the work-around is Premier users FF a bit and the rest of us do nothing, so be it.

In any event, according to the other thread Hulu IS aware of the problem, and is reticent in fixing it. That alone makes me even moreso not wanting them to patch it as it may not be an easy fix on all devices.
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
Scott_M1
Level 7

I am still experiencing this issue. The zoomed picture happens randomly when the program either first begins or returns from a commercial -- we have the Hulu subscription with advertisements because we get it for free with our Sprint cell phone plan. Whenever this happens, I have to exit the program and re-select it. Sometimes it takes more than one exit/re-select to get the picture back to normal. This procedure can also result in another commercial break, which makes the experience extremely frustrating. This happens with both the Ultra installed in the main home theater (connected to a Denon X3300 AVR and then passed through to a Vizio M70-D3 display) and a Premiere (not the plus model) in our master bedroom connected directly to a Samsung MU8000 display. It's happened with all the 4x3 material I have watched -- Mary Tyler Moore Show, Wings, Stargate SG-1, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, etc. It never happens with 16x9 material. A search on reddit's Roku forum indicates I am not the only person with the issue. An online chat with Hulu support got me nowhere.

I haven't tried Hulu with the Roku Express units we own to see if it's only a 4K model issue, but this does not happen when watching via the ATV4K, an iPad, a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone, the app on a Samsung 1080p smart TV, or the app on our Vizio 4K display. I haven't tried the Hulu app on the Samsung 4K display in our bedroom, but based on my other results I expect it will work fine there, too.  The issue also does not happen when watching 4x3 material via other apps on the Roku Ultra or Premiere -- specifically Amazon and Vudu. So this is exclusively a Hulu-only issue me me on those particular Roku models.
0 Kudos