Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
huskerbear
Level 7

3D support

Does the Roku 3 have 3D support?

With Vudu, and now netflix streaming stereoscopic 3D is Roku going to get onboard with support like apple and WDTV live already does, among others?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DerekHelps
Level 7

Re: 3D support

There's already at least one 3D channel. Couldnt tell you anything about it myself though:

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/11805/wealthtv3d
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>
0 Kudos
BradC
Level 7

"huskerbear" wrote:
now netflix streaming stereoscopic 3D

woah woah woah, netflix has 3d?

since when? where is this?

OMGOMGOMGOMG. I need to go try ths now. do you have any links, is there a category?

I've been waiting forever for this.

woooooo

/me runs off to see if this is an april fools joke or real...

edit: https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8739

looks like their 3d support still sucks, but maybe soon. Guess I'll stick to 3d blu rays and youtube html5 for now.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
huskerbear
Level 7

Yes, Netflix started super HD and 3D in the last few months, just google for more info. Word is they already have 55 3D titles!
0 Kudos
r-ferrer
Level 7

I just got a response from Support regarding my Roku 3 and 3D streaming:

Dear Robert Ferrer,

We appreciate your time in contacting Roku Email Support and for giving us such valuable
feedback.

We understand that you would like to know if you can use your 3D glasses and TV to view 3D
content on the Roku player. We would like to provide you information about this.

Viewing 3D material is not applicable on the Roku player. This is a product limitation since
3D contents has a different video requirement higher than what the Roku player support.

We are hopeful that we were able to properly address your concern. If you have other questions,
you may also reach us through our convenient modes of contact options by visiting this link:

http://support.roku.com/entries/413244-contact-support

Sincerely,

Regine
Roku Support
Roku, Inc.
support.roku.com

That's about it.............
0 Kudos
huskerbear
Level 7

I know there trying to keep the cost of the box down but, why can't they have a model that does 3D and maybe some of the other neat stuff some of us are waiting for and sale it for $199?.....I'll buy it!
0 Kudos
thetick
Level 8

"huskerbear" wrote:
I know there trying to keep the cost of the box down but, why can't they have a model that does 3D and maybe some of the other neat stuff some of us are waiting for and sale it for $199?.....I'll buy it!

The problem is Roku makes a very high volume product really cheap. If you wanted 3D the market would very small and cost would be as much as the game consoles. Roku is far too smart to try and compete with the console makers. 3D is dead with ESPN canceling their 3D channel.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
huskerbear
Level 7

"thetick" wrote:
"huskerbear" wrote:

The problem is Roku makes a very high volume product really cheap. If you wanted 3D the market would very small and cost would be as much as the game consoles. Roku is far too smart to try and compete with the console makers. 3D is dead with ESPN canceling their 3D channel.

WD and Apple TV both do 3D in the same price range. ESPN canceling does not mean 3D is dead, heck the people I know that do 3D, and could get ESPN 3D, didn't watch that including myself....nothing but reruns of foreign sports. 3D is doing fine in the theaters and the home bluray market and its just starting to get where theres a decent amount of content.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Level 7

"huskerbear" wrote:
WD and Apple TV both do 3D in the same price range.

Can you provide some titles as examples? I have an Apple TV, a WD, and a 3D television. I'd love to try this out.

Also, the Roku is entirely capable of doing side-by-side 3D, which I believe is what the Wealth 3D Roku channel uses. I suspect it's the higher resolution/bitrate frame packing 3D that it's not capable of, and I'd be really surprised if the Roku 3 isn't capable of that. Remember, too, that it was an outsourced customer service representative that said it was a hardware limitation. They've been known to be wrong quite often... I wouldn't dismiss it unless an actual Roku engineer pokes his/her head in here and gives a definitive answer.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
mikeyts
Level 7

"TheEndless" wrote:
"huskerbear" wrote:
WD and Apple TV both do 3D in the same price range.

Can you provide some titles as examples? I have an Apple TV, a WD, and a 3D television. I'd love to try this out.

How about 97 3D VUDU titles (there's some small amount of duplication as well as several demos)? "Now on VUDU 3D" is the name of a VUDU collection. These work in VUDU on WD TV Live (and my Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and PS3, though only 720p for the latter, so I've heard). At least I assume they do--I don't have a 3D TV and when I try to play the 2 minute previews it complains that it's not connected to a 3D TV. The VUDU 3D collection doesn't show up on devices which don't support it (like, for instance, the VUDU player on Roku 3 :mrgreenSmiley Happy.
0 Kudos