Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linberl
Level 7

3910 has to be unplugged every a.m.

Got a 3910RW for my old tv a month or so ago.  Using YTTV with it and Netflix.  When we turn off the tv at night, the next morning we get a black screen and the Roku doesn't come on at all, no matter what buttons we hit on the remote.  If I unplug the micro usb cable and replug it, then the unit flashed the Roku dancing icon screen, hit enter and it goes to home no problem. However, having to unplug it every morning is a giant pain.  Also I have tried to manually update software, it looked like it was loading, but then booted to the black screen, and the system page indicated it was still on Mar. 2 update.  Apparently even though I just bought this new, Roku does not offer support for this unit so I am hoping someone here can help me out. First time streaming, trying YTTV so I can dump my Dish package. No problem with speeds as I have Sonic gigabit fiber and even on wifi it's plenty fast. Please help!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 3910 has to be unplugged every a.m.

Hi there! 

Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! Have you tried connecting the device to a different TV and/or a different wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to perform a software update? 

Let us know if you have any luck from there and we'll continue seeing how we can help. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"linberl" wrote:
Got a 3910RW for my old tv a month or so ago.  Using YTTV with it and Netflix.  When we turn off the tv at night, the next morning we get a black screen and the Roku doesn't come on at all, no matter what buttons we hit on the remote.  If I unplug the micro usb cable and replug it, then the unit flashed the Roku dancing icon screen, hit enter and it goes to home no problem. However, having to unplug it every morning is a giant pain.  Also I have tried to manually update software, it looked like it was loading, but then booted to the black screen, and the system page indicated it was still on Mar. 2 update.  Apparently even though I just bought this new, Roku does not offer support for this unit so I am hoping someone here can help me out. First time streaming, trying YTTV so I can dump my Dish package. No problem with speeds as I have Sonic gigabit fiber and even on wifi it's plenty fast. Please help!

Is the tv providing power to the Roku via a USB port on the tv, or do you have an AC adapter providing power? If plugged directly into the TV I'd switch it to its own power source.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
linberl
Level 7

The Roku is plugged into a power outlet. Now after disconnecting wifi and reconnecting to my network several times,  I finally got it to update today.  Prior to my attempts, I checked the wifi and it said the signal was strong, so not sure why it wouldn't update before. Will check tomorrow a.m. to see if I have to unplug the micro usb to get it started or if turning on the tv and hitting home will get it to come on.  
0 Kudos
linberl
Level 7

Well, so far that seems to have fixed it, so thanks for the suggestions.  Getting a second one for the other old tv, too.  
0 Kudos