Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jondo
Level 7

3910: Black screen for video, Audio OK, GUI OK

Similar to other person's post, but mine is not resolved.

Roku Express Plus 3910 was working fine for months on an older TV via composite video, then a few days ago turned it on a no video for any channel. Can hear audio but just see black screen. The GUI and navigation and even app menus are working, just the video stream itself is black screen, with sometimes a split second blip of video then black screen.

I had an old Roku Express Plus 3710 that I replaced with this one. I popped it back in place and video and everything worked fine. Popped back in the 3910 and same problem, no video. I checked the display settings issue mentioned in other thread. The 3710 was already set to 4:3, the same as I set the new one. Checked the 3910 and the display type was not selected/bulleted. I tried both 4:3 and 16:9 and rebooted and neither worked, still black screen video. I saw some years old threads about Rokus doing this same black screen thing. Power off or swapping ports sometimes worked. I power off for hours and swapped TVs. Factory resets had to be done in some cases. So I tried that and still black screen video.

Interestingly, I tried to move the 3910 over to another newer TV with HDMI where I have a Roku Express 3900 and the video works fine. Moved the 3910 back to the old TV with composite and still no video.

Do these things go partially malfunctioning, burned out composite video but HDMI still OK? Or is there still a software/config fix.(or did a software update break something)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
jondo
Level 7

Re: 3910: Black screen for video, Audio OK, GUI OK

OK, this definitely seems like a bug, I assume introduced with the last update, as I have not changed or added channels or anything recently. Again, I didn't change anything, just woke up one day, turned on the TV to watch DirecTVNow and got the black screen video.

Further troubleshooting reveals that this Roku Express Plus 3910 will output video on composite, provided that and HDMI is connected to somehow "refresh" it or something.
If the 3910 is powered up while only connected to composite video, the video black screen issue remains.

However, if it is powered up on HDMI, or the HDMI is connected to the system while running (causing composite output to turn off, as only 1 will output at a time) and stream some video, you can then disconnect HDMI and the output switches back to composite, and the video still works! I remember seeing some HDCP notice somewhere, so I am thinking the black screen blanking is some bug that that is blanking out the composite video stream without a HDMI authorization which it shouldn't need.

This is not a feasible workaround as the old TV I had it on is using composite specifically because it has no HDMI, so can't refresh it there. I was only testing on a newer TV that had both. And besides, the older Roku Express Plus 3710 that I put back in service there works fine with video and has been powered on/off many times with only composite video connected, no HDMI at all, so the bug seems to not affect that platform...at least not yet.

That might explain the strange problem of why the GUI and rest of the screen output works, just not the video stream. Most noticeable in something like Pluto TV, where the video starts up on a window, which is also black screen in the window with sound, while the rest of the app and interface and menu are displaying normally on composite output.
0 Kudos
Stumpy842
Level 7

I am having the exact same issue as Jondo with my RokuExpress+ 3910RW. It seems to be a software issue as everything was working fine until a few days ago. I'm connecting via Composite and my set does not have HDMI, however I also tried this unit on another set with HDMI connection and that output still works. Same symptoms, menus etc work but the actual video blanks off after a fraction of a second when starting a video. Audio continues to work here too.

I hope the engineers can come up with a fix for this soon, thanks!
0 Kudos
jondo
Level 7

Well, at least I'm not the only one. But if this was an introduced software bug, I'd assume there would be more complaints. Must have thousands of these things out there,(Express+) or are that few people still using analog/composite?

Anyway, checked again today. Swapped back in the 3910 for the 3710 I am currently using in its place.
Yep, still broke, black screen video. Checked for update, there was none. Current Software version 9.0.0 Build 4052. Not sure when that went in, but I assume that was the culprit?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

If anyone is experiencing this issue, please reply with your Roku's model number, the specific make/model of TV you're using with your device, and the version/build of software installed on your device. We'll follow up directly to assist you further. 
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Stumpy842
Level 7

RokuExpress+
Serial# YG006P379293
Software Version# 9.0.0 build 4052-51
0 Kudos
jondo
Level 7

Model 3910RW - Roku Express+
Serial number YG00AF883085
Software version 9.0.0 * build 4052-51
0 Kudos
jondo
Level 7

Just happened to check on the 3910 today, had it plugged into a computer monitor and not using it while I took it out of service and replaced back with old 3710 since the video problem.

Noticed that it has magically been downgraded to version 8.1.0 build. Checked it on the analog TV composite and sure enough the video problem is fixed. So I guess that 9.0.0 software was the issue. What do they say about never trust a *.0.0 version software?
0 Kudos
Mrb53
Level 7

Model 4660X Roku Ultra
sn YJ002M41512
ver 900 build 4083-46
dec 4, 2018 system updated. SInce then, I cannot access Netflix only. I have black screen, characters, can log in, see and change settings but no video
video loading indicator spins but never loads. Sometimes I get an error that indicates internet issue. Have rebooted entire network, all devices, troubleshot using Netflix recommendations to no avail. Also my pc can no longer play Netflix, which is strange and not sure if their is a connection
0 Kudos
lporter2007
Level 7

Model 3900 rw
Serial number - YG0019255581
Software version - 9.0.0 build 4116-51
0 Kudos