Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SusanR
Level 8

3900 malfunction after OS 9.4 update

my Roku 3900X started malfunctioning after the 9.4 update. About every 5 minutes the screen goes black for about three seconds and then comes back on. Sometimes screen is green for about a half second, then black, then comes back on. Never had this issue before this 9.4 update. Audio is not affected and nor is wifi connection. just intermittent video black screen.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 3900 malfunction after OS 9.4 update

Make sure you provide the information @RokuDanny-R  requested, and otherwise contact Roku:

Chat or email:  https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options  (choose setup/ultra/other/need more help)

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@SusanR 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
SusanR
Level 8

here is the additional info you requested:

The model number is the 3900X Roku Express,

serial number YG000F216880
device ID C33840216880
and it was linked to my account with absolutely no problems since 1/11/2019 until the recent 9.4.0 - build 4190-51 software update on November 13, 2020.

currently the screen on my Samsung TV goes black for a few seconds every 5 minutes, and it doesn't matter whether I am on a particular channel, the home screen, settings or anywhere else. Sometimes the screen also goes green for about a half second and then the video comes back. Audio is not affected. The problem does NOT occur on my screen if I am using the Samsung hub to connect to apps, only when using my Roku Express, so it is definitely a Roku issue.

The Roku Express has been unplugged several times and restarted several times and the problem persists. It does feel quite warm to the touch.

Thank you, Susan

0 Kudos