Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvr936
Level 7

30 minute return to home page

I have an Express+ with software 9.1.0 build 4111-51
I watch Playstation VUE and FuboTV.
Every 30 minutes, without fail, the Roku returns to the home page.
It doesn't matter which of the two streaming services I am watching.
I have power cycled the Roku and also disabled the screen saver.
I've seen references to issues with Netflix having this issue on this forum but not these other streams.
Any idea how to solve this?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: 30 minute return to home page

Try changing screensavers.. might be a buggy screensaver.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
mvr936
Level 7

I may have resolved this...  I had tried rebooting the Express+ by unplugging it momentarily.  That did not work.  Today I left it unplugged (powered down) for several hours.  I have been watching PS Vue for several hours now without a problem.  Fingers crossed that this "fixed" it.

Actually, not fixed at all.  Turns out that if I am watching a recorded show then the issue does not happen.  It only happens when I am watching "live" TV.  Also, more info on this...  This only happens on my Express+ (which has the analog outputs to an older TV).  My other Roku's do not exhibit this problem at all.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Bumblefist
Level 8

I have been having the same issue with YouTube and Emby, the only two apps I use 90% of the time on my Roku 1.  It started a few weeks ago after the latest update.
Both apps return to the home screen after 30 minutes of playing a video.  It doesn't happen with videos shorter than 30 minutes.
Since it happens at the same time length every time, it seems to be related to some sort of timer in the Roku, perhaps thinking there has been no activity for 30 minutes so it exits to home screen.
I've read all the old posts about similar issues and can see that this is a problem that has come up with various apps in the past.  None of the past solutions have worked for me.
mvr936
Level 7

"Bumblefist" wrote:
I have been having the same issue with YouTube and Emby, the only two apps I use 90% of the time on my Roku 1.  It started a few weeks ago after the latest update.
Both apps return to the home screen after 30 minutes of playing a video.  It doesn't happen with videos shorter than 30 minutes.
Since it happens at the same time length every time, it seems to be related to some sort of timer in the Roku, perhaps thinking there has been no activity for 30 minutes so it exits to home screen.
I've read all the old posts about similar issues and can see that this is a problem that has come up with various apps in the past.  None of the past solutions have worked for me.

I was thinking the same thing about some sort of timeout within the Roku itself.  Thanks for replying.  Misery loves company as they say.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I use three apps on my Roku almost daily. Roku Media Player is for watching media from my home server via DLNA, then YouTube and Prime Video. With all three I often watch media that lasts over 30 minutes without getting kicked back to the home page. While it's rare that I've watched a YouTube live stream that lasts that long, I have watched some SpaceX launches that lasted over an hour. I don't think there's anything within the Roku firmware that is causing a return to the home page after 30 minutes. But what's causing your issues, I can't venture a clue. Hopefully tomorrow when the Roku forum admins are here again they can do some investigation for you. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mvr936
Level 7

"jeffrok" wrote:
Try changing screensavers.. might be a buggy screensaver.

jeffrok, I tried that.  Also tried disabling the screensaver.  Still screws up.  Appreciate the suggestion.
0 Kudos
mvr936
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I use three apps on my Roku almost daily. Roku Media Player is for watching media from my home server via DLNA, then YouTube and Prime Video. With all three I often watch media that lasts over 30 minutes without getting kicked back to the home page. While it's rare that I've watched a YouTube live stream that lasts that long, I have watched some SpaceX launches that lasted over an hour. I don't think there's anything within the Roku firmware that is causing a return to the home page after 30 minutes. But what's causing your issues, I can't venture a clue. Hopefully tomorrow when the Roku forum admins are here again they can do some investigation for you. 

Thanks.  I think it is something specific with my Express+.  I have 4 of the Express models (no "+") that are all connected via HDMI and there are no issues with them at all.  The Express+ is connected to an older TV with the 3 cables (yellow for video, white and red for audio).  The 30 minute return to home is constant while I am watching a live stream.  It doesn't seem to happen when I am viewing a recording (cloud based DVR).
0 Kudos
mvr936
Level 7

There seems to be a correlation to the time it was power cycled and the times when it returns to the home page.  For instance, if I power cycle it at 12:15 it will exhibit the problem at 15 and 45 minutes after each hour.  I wonder if the problem is related to the fact that I am not using the HDMI interface on the Roku.  Could the Roku be monitoring that interface and thinking that my TV is turned off and thus returning to the home page due to a timeout feature?
0 Kudos