Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

24p now eliminated from the Hulu app

To those wondering, yes, 24p is no longer supported by the Hulu app thanks to Roku's newest update. This, exactly like the netflix issue, is not on the Hulu app makers. It was a Roku decision to completely eliminate a great feature without giving fans an alternative or communicating that they were going to do so.

Many in the past have suggested very simple ways for these channels to still output 24p and 25p. The suggestions are peppered throughout the forums. Why don't you Roku folks point your engineers here once in a while to find out what it is your (die-hard) consumers actually want?

BTW, this new forum style is beyond awful.

11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: 24p now eliminated from the Hulu app

I'm sure it does get to all concerned in time at least.

There are those who agree with you. I'm perfectly happy with my simpler

TV and resolutions. Even though you couldnt care less.

But in time Im sure faster and higher will take over.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@Wintergarden2 wrote:

To those wondering, yes, 24p is no longer supported by the Hulu app thanks to Roku's newest update. This, exactly like the netflix issue, is not on the Hulu app makers. It was a Roku decision to completely eliminate a great feature without giving fans an alternative or communicating that they were going to do so.

Many in the past have suggested very simple ways for these channels to still output 24p and 25p. The suggestions are peppered throughout the forums. Why don't you Roku folks point your engineers here once in a while to find out what it is your (die-hard) consumers actually want?

BTW, this new forum style is beyond awful.

If you know that Roku made the decision to disable it, you should post the evidence. I can report the problem to Hulu and Roku, but I don't get feedback that tells me if it's a bug to be fixed or a deliberate move on either party's part. After mentioning that Roku's support page describing auto-refresh only shows Netflix incompatible, and wondering if they would fix the problem with Hulu or edit their support page, they added Hulu as an unsupported app. IOW, should I dump Hulu or Roku?

I fixed the problem with Hulu by adding the no-commercials option, but then the feature was disabled.

The real problem is switching for commercial streams at different framerates from the program content. They just need to demand (or convert) commercials so both are available, without forcing a refresh rate change.  And that change is annoying when the flag is recognized and the change made before the new content is even output yet, but everyone has the option to leave the feature disabled, so let the people that appreciate it use it.

I watched Young Sheldon the other day on Hulu Live TV (which is always 60p anyway) and it was horrible. I kept going back and forth over one particularly bad scene where a box with printing on it was picked up and zoomed in on and it looked like a slide show of still pictures. Nothing I could do to mitigate the effect. A couple of days later watched it in 24p on CBS All Access and it was flawless. But their commercials are a mix of 24p and 60p (and previews interrupt browsing) and constantly reset the refresh rate on the set. So I guess they'll be the next to lose the feature.

Then there's the least common denominators saying 60 is a bigger number than 24, it must be better.

Highlighted
Level 11

@Wintergarden2 wrote:

To those wondering, yes, 24p is no longer supported by the Hulu app thanks to Roku's newest update. This, exactly like the netflix issue, is not on the Hulu app makers. It was a Roku decision to completely eliminate a great feature...

I just got the opposite response from Roku today, i.e., it's not a Roku issue, it's an issue with the Netflix and Hulu channels and inquiries should be directed to them.

Original question: "...it seems that Roku removed the feature from Netflix in 9.1 firmware and from Hulu in 9.2. Will this feature be restored, or will the Roku picture quality stay degraded?..."

Followed up later with: "Still wondering if Roku has dropped support for 24Hz refresh rate on Hulu or not. Your support page describing auto-adjust refresh rate only excludes Netflix at the moment."

Shortly afterward the Roku page added Hulu as well as Netflix not being supported for the feature.

An email today states " We would like to let you know that The Roku does not have any access with the channels interface ,The channels and applications are designed and provided by the channel partners , If there is an issue with the Roku device you might have faced difficulties in all the channel , This seems like an issue with the particular channel interface so we request to get in touch with the channel provider to isolate the issue."

So, complain to Hulu and Netflix, it's not a Roku issue (according to this response). I did get a "we're working on it" response in a Hulu chat before I asked Roku, so maybe there's hope. I guess I'll find out if Netflix made any progress when I try another free month, last time I had Netflix I didn't have a Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Frame rate matching elimination corresponded to firmware updates, not individual app updates. This tells me that Roku had been receiving complaints about autoplay trailers on Netflix and commercials on Hulu that triggered needless frame rate changes and opted to simply eliminate frame rate matching from two of their three biggest apps to save themselves the headache. My guess is that the updated firmwares simply have a few lines of code that prohibits frame rate matching from these apps.

If you remember, when the feature was first available, it worked across the board; individual apps didn't have to update themselves to make it function within the app. This is because all apps designed for Roku must function within the core Roku video player with whatever optional wrapper the individual app will set. Decisions like the outputting frame rate is left to the Roku player, not the app (in general).

Roku support passing the buck seems likelier to be a customer service rep uninformed of the issue. If you need any more evidence that Roku controls this feature, look no further than the 24p Netflix thread. It's marked as "solved" by the Roku admins who admit that the "solution" is simply that Roku eliminated frame rate matching from firmware 9.1 onward.

Simple and would-be effective solutions have been proposed by many and we can only hope the admins read these comments and pass them on to the engineers (for example, controlling frame rate switching in Hulu and Netflix via the left side menu that pops up with a press of the * button).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@Wintergarden2 wrote:

Frame rate matching elimination corresponded to firmware updates, not individual app updates. This tells me that Roku had been receiving complaints about autoplay trailers on Netflix and commercials on Hulu that triggered needless frame rate changes and opted to simply eliminate frame rate matching from two of their three biggest apps to save themselves the headache. My guess is that the updated firmwares simply have a few lines of code that prohibits frame rate matching from these apps.

If you remember, when the feature was first available, it worked across the board; individual apps didn't have to update themselves to make it function within the app. This is because all apps designed for Roku must function within the core Roku video player with whatever optional wrapper the individual app will set. Decisions like the outputting frame rate is left to the Roku player, not the app (in general).

Roku support passing the buck seems likelier to be a customer service rep uninformed of the issue. If you need any more evidence that Roku controls this feature, look no further than the 24p Netflix thread. It's marked as "solved" by the Roku admins who admit that the "solution" is simply that Roku eliminated frame rate matching from firmware 9.1 onward.

Simple and would-be effective solutions have been proposed by many and we can only hope the admins read these comments and pass them on to the engineers (for example, controlling frame rate switching in Hulu and Netflix via the left side menu that pops up with a press of the * button).

You make a lot of assumptions, and your logic stinks. The app has to support the feature. Netflix did not support the feature when Amazon introduced it more than a year and a half ago, and never bothered to support it. http://www.aftvnews.com/explanation-of-the-new-frame-rate-matching-feature-on-the-amazon-fire-tv/

Just last night, I watched a British show in 50p on Hulu. After noticing that, I tried an old b/w film-based tv show and got 24p just like I used to before Hulu broke it. I tried "The Orville" which I used to get in 24p, but I got 60p. Went back to the previous 2 shows, and they also reverted to 60p. And Hulu has been at 60p since. That's not disabled by Roku, that's broken.

As far as it "corresponding to firmware updates", it also corresponds to Hulu updating their app and adding 60fps to their live streams. According to your logic, it must be Hulu.

Apps can be written to NOT support features; never found a channel that doesn't respond to buttons on the remote? Anyway, the current Roku response seems to be the blanket "if it works on all the other channels except that one, it's not a Roku issue, contact the channel provider".

If you're not satisfied with Hulu's video quality, drop them and spend your money elsewhere. That being said, if Roku were to deliberately cause that, Hulu would pull their channel from the Roku platform in a heartbeat. No, I don't know that, but on the internet I can state anything as fact if I want to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Netflix never bothered to support it? There's an entire thread about 24p no longer applying to Netflix because Roku exempted the netflix app from frame rate matching about a year after they rolled out the feature. Here is the Roku forums admin saying as much:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Playback-Issues-Audio-Video-Power/24p-not-working-on-Netflix/m-p/50590...

Guided by past behavior, I'm positive that the frame rate matching elimination from the Hulu app is also due to Roku. Roku wants its users to have a smooth and seamless experience. It's understandable how Roku views Netflix's autoplay trailers and Hulu's ads breaking that seamless experience. However, there are intermediate measures that can please almost all parties without resorting to eliminating a great feature and I hope that Roku adopts some of these measures in the future.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

I just went from Hulu Live TV to an on-demand movie and got a 24 Hz refresh. Tried a current TV show on- demand and also got a 24 Hz refresh. Tried an old b/w TV show, also 24 Hz. Bouncing around like that, I accidentally exited Hulu, but I wanted to check if I happened to get a Roku update anyway, but no, still hasn't updated since 01-15. Doesn't look like the Hulu app updated, either. Went back in to Hulu and now get nothing but an output at 60 Hz refresh. Tried another Roku Ultra (4670) and it's also stuck a 60 Hz for all Hulu OD content.

This can't be the intended behavior. What changed between exiting and re-opening Hulu? CDN? I think I'll cut and paste this into a Hulu chat window.

P.S.: Hulu screensaver came on as I typed this. Woke it up and resumed an episode. The Roku is outputting a 24Hz refresh now. Hulu chat window is still waiting for a response.

P.P.S.: I was watching a 24 Hz stream on Hulu on one Roku, while I left a second (identical) Roku streaming 60 Hz Hulu Live TV. When my 24 Hz program ended, I chose another program, and that also streamed at 24 Hz. On the second Roku, I exited Live TV and tried some OD content, but all it would do was 60 Hz. I stopped a 60 Hz stream and backed up to the page showing "resume season x episode y" and left it at that screen until the Hulu logo screensaver appeared. When I woke it and hit the resume option, it gave me a 24 Hz stream.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@Wintergarden2 wrote:

"To those wondering, yes, 24p is no longer supported by the Hulu app..."

Here's how to force a 24 Hz refresh output from the Roku:

1. Open the Hulu app.

2. Wait for the Hulu screensaver to start.

3. Any 24p content will now play at a 24 Hz refresh.

Alternatively:

1. Open the Hulu app.

2. Play some content that you know is 24p. Verify that it is output at 60 Hz refresh.

3. Hit the back button to return to the program description with the resume button highlighted.

4. Wait for the Hulu screensaver to start. Hit the OK button once to wake, once more to resume the program at a 24 Hz refresh.

This applies to all refresh rates, not just 24 Hz, and I'd recommend changing the screensaver timeout to the minimum 1 minute in the Roku settings, until either Roku or Hulu comes up with a fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Very clever solution, BarneyF. I had noticed that I also triggered 24p again on Hulu somehow but I wasn't sure about the path I took to get there and wasn't able to reproduce it. So, kudos to you again Barney for being attentive.

The only problem is that we don't know if future updates will target this shortcut, especially now that we spelled it out for them. For whatever reason, the Roku team doesn't see any value in frame rate matching on Netflix and Hulu. Best long-term solution is to still implore them to implement any of the numerous alternatives this community has come up with to restore 24p and keep (almost) everyone happy.

0 Kudos