Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 15

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution

@jasonwc wrote:

Can anyone confirm what devices will still change refresh rate for Netflix and support 4K HDR HEVC playback? I would assume both the Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield would work.

To my understanding it doesn't work on anything. With the Shield I think you can add a plugin to Kodi that supports it, but there's been a lot of griping on those forums as well. Can't speak to the ATV. And I dropped Netflix completely, so can't test it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
wizziwig
Level 7

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution

How about as a compromise they simply add 24Hz display modes to the settings?  They allow you to select 4K@30Hz display modes but nothing for 24Hz.  This would at least allow you to lock in the screen to always run at 24Hz which would be okay for 99% of Netflix content.  UI and other elements would also be stuck at this low refresh rate but since we spend 99% of our time actually watching content and not menus, I would be okay with that.  Of course the best option would be to hide the old dynamic frame rate switching feature behind some hidden menu for those who prefer to watch everything at the correct frame rate and don't mind if the screen blanks out during refresh rate changes.

I guess they could also do the Nvidia Shield solution where you have to press a quick toggle button after video starts playing to switch the refresh rate.  This way you navigate the menus and trailers at 60Hz but then switch to the proper 23.976 refresh once you begin to watch full screen video.

0 Kudos