Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noggin
Level 7

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution
"Eddy555" wrote:
I've spoken to Netflix and they say it's Roku that have removed this functionality, so it's up to Roku to add it back again. Or at least allow users to toggle the feature for the Netflix app.

Yes - to remove this 'must have' feature with no warning is just a terrible move.  Refresh rate switching on all channels was the major USP of the Roku over devices like the Amazon Fire TV (which only does it in a few), and put the Roku in the same tier as the much more expensive Apple TV 4K.  Now by removing this functionality from Netflix - they have cheapened the device hugely.
If Roku / Netflix couldn't fix the refresh rate on the menu page (to avoid the trailer refresh rate switching) then that's fine - warn us about that on release notes.  Those of us who have bothered to burrow deep into the menu structure to enable refresh rate switching are grown-up enough to understand there is a limitation - but to remove a core feature and a USP is a really bad move. 
0 Kudos
noggin
Level 7

Jump to solution
"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for the notes here. I followed up with our team, and it looks like this is the current intended behavior as of OS 9.1. The 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel at this time. 

I apologize for any confusion here. I'll continue to provide any further updates here if there is any additional news to share. 

Thanks,
Tanner

I just had a long chat with Netflix customer support who escalated.  They confirmed - at the level I reached - that they believe this is a Roku decision to disable frame rate switching in Netflix, and not a Netflix change.  I've logged with Roku as well, and Netflix have asked me to go back to them if I get no suitable response from Roku.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution
Just my personal opinion, but I don't believe Netflix here. I see no reason for Roku to disable a function specifically on one particular channel. Roku didn't create the Netflix app, so they don't have access to the underlying code. There's no logic to that idea. But there is logic behind Netflix doing it because of all the complaints from users about framerate switching when their background video plays. Instead of stopping the video playback, as most users would prefer, they instead just disabled the framerate switching. But since I cancelled Netflix several months ago, I no longer had a dog in the fight. Netflix just doesn't offer enough content that I want to watch to justify the cost. They keep spending more and more on their "original content" that has zero interest for me, and that in turn requires them to continue raising their rates. If enough people speak with their wallets, maybe Netflix will start listening to their user comments.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Eddy555
Level 7

Jump to solution
I've had it confirmed by Roku that they changed this.
0 Kudos
noggin
Level 7

Jump to solution
"Eddy555" wrote:
I've had it confirmed by Roku that they changed this.

Absolutely terrible decision by Roku if that is the case.  At least make it an option. To remove such basic core functionality from the most popular SVOD service (at least in the UK) is crazy.
0 Kudos
wxman2001
Level 7

Jump to solution

This pretty much has helped me make my decision. My 2016 LG E6 can only do Dolby Vision at 24 or 30 fps. This device will not allow me to watch DV Netflix shows on my tv. Good bye ROKU. You really screwed up on this one. Time for either an Apple TV 4K, or the new NVIDIA Shield. Both can do something as simple as matching the frame rate. Roku must have clowns for engineers.   

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@wxman2001 wrote:

This pretty much has helped me make my decision. My 2016 LG E6 can only do Dolby Vision at 24 or 30 fps. This device will not allow me to watch DV Netflix shows on my tv. Good bye ROKU. You really screwed up on this one. Time for either an Apple TV 4K, or the new NVIDIA Shield. Both can do something as simple as matching the frame rate. Roku must have clowns for engineers.   

No Roku player currently supports Dolby Vision, and never has. So that's not a factor in your Netflix viewing. I you purchased one thinking it offered DV, you were misinformed. (Only certain Roku TVs support this today.) 

The new Shield released today does offer DV, but not the older versions. And don't count on it offering automatic framerate switching either. I've read there's a beta function that allows framerate switching, but you have to switch it manually. My Shield (the 2017 version) will auto-framerate my local media using Kodi or MrMC, but I don't believe it does on any of the Internet streaming apps. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
wizziwig
Level 7

Jump to solution

If they are not going to restore proper 24p playback for Netflix, can they at least offer to roll back the firmware update for anyone who preferred the results with 9.0?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@wizziwig wrote:

If they are not going to restore proper 24p playback for Netflix, can they at least offer to roll back the firmware update for anyone who preferred the results with 9.0?

That isn't going to happen. There's been too many other fixes since then, and Roku doesn't like devices to be running older firmware. 

Dan
0 Kudos
jasonwc
Level 7

Jump to solution
Wow, I wish I checked this before purchasing a new Roku Ultra 4K (2019). Since this was one of the reasons I chose the Roku, I will be promptly returning the device this weekend. Thanks for the confirmation!

Can anyone confirm what devices will still change refresh rate for Netflix and support 4K HDR HEVC playback? I would assume both the Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield would work.
0 Kudos