Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 15

Re: 24p not working on Netflix

Jump to solution
Tanner said this expected behavior for OS 9.1, but didn't identify who made the change. I think it's possible that Netflix is the one that made the change because of the complaints they get with the previews. Personally, it's one more reason I dropped Netflix. All I'm saying is might not be Roku that caused the change. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Keenan
Level 7

Jump to solution
"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for the notes here. I followed up with our team, and it looks like this is the current intended behavior as of OS 9.1. The 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel at this time. 

I apologize for any confusion here. I'll continue to provide any further updates here if there is any additional news to share. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Yes, such as the reason WHY would be nice.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution
"Keenan" wrote:
"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks for the notes here. I followed up with our team, and it looks like this is the current intended behavior as of OS 9.1. The 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel at this time. 

I apologize for any confusion here. I'll continue to provide any further updates here if there is any additional news to share. 

Thanks,
Tanner

If I had to guess, it was because of all the complaints about Netflix constantly forcing a refresh rate change because of their auto-play videos. So either way, people complain. It's one of the reasons I cancelled Netflix several months ago. They don't really seem to care what the customer wants, as long as you continue to subscribe. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Keenan
Level 7

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
"Keenan" wrote:
"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks,
Tanner

If I had to guess, it was because of all the complaints about Netflix constantly forcing a refresh rate change because of their auto-play videos. So either way, people complain. It's one of the reasons I cancelled Netflix several months ago. They don't really seem to care what the customer wants, as long as you continue to subscribe. 

That could be but it would be nice to actually hear the reason from Roku. Instead, they've broken a previously functional device without any reason or notice such a change would be made. One of the major reasons I purchased the Ultra was that it would play Netflix content in its native frame rate. Now it does not for reasons known only to Roku and I end up with a device that has become far less useful to me.
0 Kudos
wintergarden
Level 7

Jump to solution
"Keenan" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"Keenan" wrote:
"RokuTannerD" wrote:
Hi there! 

Thanks,
Tanner

That could be but it would be nice to actually hear the reason from Roku. Instead, they've broken a previously functional device without any reason or notice such a change would be made. One of the major reasons I purchased the Ultra was that it would play Netflix content in its native frame rate. Now it does not for reasons known only to Roku and I end up with a device that has become far less useful to me.

Yes, the lack of communication - especially in the roku blogs and 9.1 FW notes - is disappointing. A word on whether they are working with Netflix to address the root issue would also have been appreciated. The absurd thing is that they went with the sledgehammer solution to a scalpel problem. I'm assuming that almost everyone choosing to turn on the advanced feature of refresh rate matching (from the default state of "no") is aware of and wants the benefits of 24p. Some of us (okay, most of us) were frustrated by netflix triggering it with its auto-previews, but the underlying fact is that everyone frustrated by this also knows about and wants 24p. The "solution" to disable it entirely for netflix is so unnecessary as it appears like such a trivial couple of lines in the new 9.1 FW code - "if netflix, then no 24p". A far more suitable solution is, I believe, what I suggested; adding a new option in the same advanced display options page that enables or disables 24p for Netflix. This would have satisfied the far greater number of Roku users until the underlying problem of auto-previews was addressed. Alternatively, they could have added an option to enable refresh rate matching in general but disable it on a per-channel basis - for example, by having the option to disable it appear when you press the * button for the channel in the home menu.
0 Kudos
rybo85
Level 7

Jump to solution
Add me to the list of people bothered by this. I got a Roku Streaming Stick+, because it along with the refresh rate setting switches tv's to 24.000Hz, instead of 23.976Hz. Some content on Netflix like Bird Box and Dark was apparently shot at 24.000fps, so if I watched it with my Apple TV 4K, it would play it at 23.976Hz, instead of 24.000Hz. This would lead to a frequent frame skip, which usually annoys me. Watching these 24.000fps Netflix shows/movies with the Roku Streaming Stick+ was supposed to be my workaround, so this sucks.
0 Kudos
cosmoxl
Level 7

Jump to solution
This decision is unacceptable.  The whole reason I have a roku is because my other device (shield tv) doesn't auto switch refresh rate for apps like Amazon Video or Netflix.

Yes, the Netflix preview videos made things annoying but surely there's a workaround without crippling something that made Roku valuable for videophiles. 

Reverse this decision immediately. 
0 Kudos
Eddy555
Level 7

Jump to solution
Well at least it's not just me. It used to be annoying that the refresh would switch when a menu video would autoplay, resulting in a few seconds of blank screen.
Could they not at least disable the autoswitching on the menu videos, and enable it again when you play the content?
Is this difficult to do?
0 Kudos
Eddy555
Level 7

Jump to solution
I've spoken to Netflix and they say it's Roku that have removed this functionality, so it's up to Roku to add it back again. Or at least allow users to toggle the feature for the Netflix app.
0 Kudos
noggin
Level 7

Jump to solution
I've just re-installed my Roku Streaming Stick + after a month or two of not using it and am amazed to discover that Netflix, and only Netflix, is now stuck at 4K59.94Hz permanently.  Whether I play 23.976Hz content (Lost In Space) or 25Hz content (like The Crown) it is just a juddery mess.

I specifically bought the Roku because it DID do refresh rate switching - and it still does this for BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime Video?

Whether it is Roku or Netflix who removed this functionality - seemingly with no warning - please tell me this is going to be fixed ASAP.  

I've recommended the Roku Streaming Stick over the Apple TV 4 and Apple TV 4K in the past precisely because of this feature. I'm now going to have to recommend the Apple box instead.  Netflix at a fixed 59.94Hz refresh rate is simply unacceptable.
0 Kudos