Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CyberBogart
Reel Rookie

2013 Sony TV and 2013 Pioneer VSX 523, has sound but no picture

I have a 2013 Sony TV with ARC (Is that different from HPCP someting something i forgot the term). When i plug the roku ultra to my Pioneer reciever, i get sound but no video.

This is beyond, re plugging or those basic troubleshooting steps.

I never had problems like this before with my other devices because they have HDMI and a Separate OPtical out which i have

The Roku Ultra only has 1 HDMI port

I already tried plugging the TV to the OUT of the Pioneer reciever then connected the roku to one of the ports at the back (i chose DVD for no particular reason), no dice.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: 2013 Sony TV and 2013 Pioneer VSX 523, has sound but no picture

ARC means Audio Return Channel.  It allows an HDMI out from a receiver to the TV, to also be an audio in back to the receiver.  I don't use it myself – my setup is simple with each input device (Roku, etc.) having a simple HDMI to receiver connection and then the receiver has a simple HDMI to TV connection. 

My devices all use just an HDMI connector – some may have an optical port but, if so, I have never used them.  I'm not sure what you are using the optical connections for.  My hazy memory is that people used an optical cable from the TV to the receiver before ARC if they wanted to have sound from the TV (such as over the air TV or smart TV apps) produce sound through the receiver. I only use my TV as a display so I don't need ARC or optical.

By the way, my TV and receiver are from 2008 so it's not a simple age issue.

I don't know what's going on in your system but I just thought I'd throw some data out there.  The fact that you have both optical and HDMIs running may mean the receiver is configured in some way that needs to be changed.  (Although honestly, I'd kind of expect your problem to be that the Roku has video and no audio in that case.)

So, are you not even getting the Roku UI showing?  Or do you mean just video from shows is missing?

I found a picture of the back of that receiver, and I notice that there is an HDMI port labeled DVD.  However, there is also a composite video port labeled DVD-in. So I wonder, if perhaps you need to configure it for which port is in use or if it selects automatically.  And if it's automatic and something is connected to that DVD-in port, maybe it is selecting that video?  All just guesses though!

0 Kudos
CyberBogart
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the lengthy reply. Here's an update

I was successful in getting sound but no picture, the roku is conected to the DVD HDMI Port on my Reciever for no particular reason (i got the cheapest reciever so i cant program the inputs hehe)

So from Roku to Reciever, everything works.....from the reciever to the TV...no dice

0 Kudos
CyberBogart
Reel Rookie

Oh and to answer your optical port question, in my case, back in the day (2013 onwards) playstation has optical ports so i use them that way, optical for sound, hdmi for video

i am planning to buy an ARC audio extractor and hope it works

at first i though to buy a splitter because Roku works fine on my TV directly plugged in, so the setup is roku has the splitter then it will split to my tv and reciever

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@CyberBogart

Thanks for the posts.

If you connect the Roku device directly to the TV are you experiencing the same issue?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CyberBogart
Reel Rookie

Everything is working fine if Roku connected directly to TV. What i did was buy a ARC extractor, that solved it

0 Kudos