Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2fishfolk
Level 7

2 rokus stopped working on main tv

I have a roku express and a roku premiere.There was an update on 11/07/17. Roku stopped working on my pioneer plasma. I tried both rokus and neither will work on that set. Both work perfectly on my other 3 tv's. When i unplug the rokus. they start up by going into the roku startup mode.The roku emblem appearing. Then the screen goes blank. i have audio.If i push enough buttons i can get a show to start and the audio plays. Tried different imputs and different cables. Going both through my receiver inputs and directly to the tv input. All other electronics work perfectly plugged into imputs.The only thing i have not done is reset the roku.I saw no reason to do that because they work so well on the other sets.Verified that i was not trying to view in incompatible resolutions. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, contacted pioneer to see if i missed an update and was told no.I am now convinced the problem is that my tv cannot read the roku signal but i can't figure out why. Because i get the roku startup logo that seems to signal that i am getting something but not a complete signal.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: 2 rokus stopped working on main tv

You are probably caught in the bug with the video setting reverting to Auto and your TV doesn't support 1080p. There were a lot of early plasma sets that were 720, and while some can accept a 1080 signal others can't. Look at a few other threads here and you'll find the button sequence to change your box from Auto to 720. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
2fishfolk
Level 7

my tv is a pioneer pdp 6070 hd. i did a search and it says it will take a 1080p but does not always work with 1080 upscaling as in some dvd players. i reset the box to 720 on another tv. brought it in and hooked it back up. again, i got the roku startup logo then it went blank. i admit, i am having a hard time understanding why it can't get the signal. i went through all my video settings on the tv to see if maybe changing from standard to dynamic or gaming might make a difference. i know i should have done this already but my last option seems to be to reset the box. even though it works on the other tv's, resetting might just bring it back to the way it was. again,it all started with the nov. update. thanks for your time.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Yes, unfortunately switching TVs forces the Roku to Auto to attempt to connect to the new TV correctly. Here's a post from RokuDale that might help you out. This is the button press sequence to use to switch your screen resolution to 720 when the display is blank:

If you are in the home row of the home screen, going up one should always get you to the Settings tab.
To make sure you are in the home row of the home screen, you should press the home button at least 3 times (1st one dismisses screen saver), 2nd exits app, and third should take you to home row.
Pressing it another time doesn't hurt.
Then press Up, to get you to settings, and then press OK. to go into settings.
For players the display mode setting should always be the fourth row, since you are already in the first row, press down three times.and press OK to get into display mode settings screen.
Now, in 8.0 whenever it thinks you siwtched to a different TV, it forces you back to "Auto". This is one of the reasons that hooking it to another TV to force it to 720P doesn't help. Since when you move the Roku back the other TV, it will force it back to Auto. Although you can use the other TV to confirm the button sequence to go to 720P.
For most devices, 720P is one down from Auto. So press down, then press OK.
It now asks if you want to switch to 720P so hit OK again, then it will try to switch to 720 and you should see the display now. You need to confirm 720P is ok, otherwise it will send you back to Auto.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
remaker
Level 7

THANK YOU. This is the level of detail I needed to get my Roku working on a 720p TV in a hotel room!!

Thanks for saving me the reset.
0 Kudos