Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
larrypoz
Level 8

10.0.0 build 4195 update issues

May 12 update: 10.0.0 build 4195 update issues. Insignia TV

When Roku Premiere is first powered up with the TV, the Roku finishes its power up and then the video/audio disappears on HDMI 2. 

To get the video/audio to work I need to manually change to HDMI 1 and back to HDMI 2. This started with the May 12 10.0 4195 update in May 12 

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: 10.0.0 build 4195 update issues

I'd suggest trying a couple of things.

Set your Roku to the TV's resolution.  Go into Settings > Display type and change the Roku to the actual resolution of the TV instead of the "auto" setting. When you get to the countdown screen click on the "yes" option to lock this in.

It sounds like your Roku is powering up when you turn on your TV, which usually means you are powering it via the USB port on the TV.  If setting the resolution didn't fix it, try powering from house power via the USB power adapter that came with the Roku. The Roku will already be powered up when you turn on the TV, which may eliminate the problem.  If you don't have the Roku adapter handy, any other you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs at least 1 amp.

Note that having the Roku on all the time permits it to automatically update at odd hours.  It also means it can continue to stream unwatched when you turn off the TV.  It's a good idea to get in the habit of returning the Roku to its home screen when done streaming.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
larrypoz
Level 8

makaiguy, thank you for the reply. I tried the 'work around' but it did not solve the issue. The Roku initializes and you can see the initialization on the HDMI port. When the initialization is complete the screen goes blank. When I test the Roku HDMI ports there are no errors and 720 and 1080 ports test good.

To get a picture I have to select HDMI 1 and then go back to HDMI 2. 

This happened a few years a ago on a similar tv and it was fixed via a Roku patch.

///

Regarding the Roku power supply. I opt to have the Roku powered via the TV for a couple of reasons, 1). I try to limit the number of 'always-on' device in my household, 2) I don't like extra power cords to achieve a wireless connection. I would assume you suggested this to speed up startup and initialization and not for updates alone, since updated will occur when I power the unit on, correct?
I would love to see a patch from Roku to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, the suggestion of uninterupted power to the Roku is so that it is already booted up and ready to reply when the tv starts up and checks the HDMI port for what's connected there. 

If tv starts up quicker than Roku, the Roku may start responding to the HDMI "handshake" (exchange of capabilities info between the two units) too late to get a good set of data exchanged, which can result in picture problems, as you've seen.   On some tv/Roku combinations the handshake fails completely and the tv just reports "no signal" on that HDMI port.  Switching tv to a different port and back forces another complete handshake, and by now the Roku is fully ready to respond. If you make a point of setting your tv back to a different input when shutting it down, I suspect this could alleviate the problem when starting up.

Suggestion to use uninterrupted power for the Roku was to try to get around this problem.  As you've got it now, the Roku will update itself eventually, although maybe not right at startup.  I don't know if it will wait for some idle time, or will just update at some point when you may be in the middle of watching something.  You can always force an update manually via Settings > System > System update > Check now.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos