Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljpaxton
Level 7

will not reconnect, will not find 5g network only 2g.

I have 3900X roku express. For some reason it will no longer connect to my WiFi. I cannot add my 5g network it only recognizes the 2g. Doesn't get full signal either, and is only 12 feet away from router. Software  9.4.0build 4200-51.  Help!!  Also I think it is bs that there is no agent support for this model.  I ha e reset my router and my roku at least 8 times just today... And several others previously.

0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: will not reconnect, will not find 5g network only 2g.

All Express models only support 2.4GHz and only channels 1 to 11 (if you're not in the US).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jodiebb
Level 8

Is this also true for streaming stick+? Setting mine up and it did not find my 5G network.

0 Kudos
renojim

@jodiebb, the Streaming Stick+ supports 5GHz, but only channels below 50 or above 150 (roughly).  If your router is set to a channel between 50 and 150, or worse "Auto", set it to a supported channel.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jodiebb
Level 8

Thanks, but you lost me. I didn't know my router could be set to channels. I'll check w a tech friend (or the internet. ha...) to see if it does and, if so, if I can change it. The computer finds the 5G np. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@jodiebb 

Couple of things. 5 GHz is a WiFi band. 5G refers to new celluar tech. 2.4 GHz is a WiFi band. 2G is old celluar tech.

Not the same thing. Have your tech friend explain all that.

The 5 GHz band and the 2.4 GHz band both consist of multiple channels within those frequency ranges.

This may help it relate: TV channels (the actual channels themselves) make up bands. 2-13 make up the VHF band. 14 and above make up the UHF band. Wifi is similar in that respect: various channels make up the bands.

Computers can find a 5GHz channel if the network device is configured to look at those channels. Roku isn't. @renojim mentioned the channels in the 5 GHz band that Roku ignores. If your tech friend is knowledgable enough, he/she will be able to explain those are reserved or restricted for specific purposes and Roku has chosen to honor that.

The question is not whether your router operates on channels, it does. The questions is whether or not your router can be configured, and how easily configured, to use certain channels. Your tech friend may be able to assist.

Note that it has not been fully ruled out that there isn't an issue with your Roku device. It could be defective. However, it is more likely that your router is on a non-standard channel.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jodiebb
Level 8

Yes, thanks. I do know that 5G is newer, and that my other band is 2.4. I'd seen another post referring to 2G and I assumed it was shorthand for 2.4G. Oops. 'kay, I'll see if my router can be configured to use different channels (without messing up my computer wifi). It was originally configured by the wifi-installation guys (Sonic in Berkeley CA) so I assume they didn't do anything too non-standard, but...?

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@jodiebb 

You never know. If you dig long enough, you'll see many self-proclaimed network experts criticizing Roku for omitting support for certain channels in the 5 GHz band. Your tech guy that did the install may fall into that category, and never have even considered to omit those restricted/reserved channels from the router pool, or direct configuration. Or, the manufacturer itself may include those channels in an "auto" setting.

And, just a reminder, it could still be a Roku issue, though this situation it's usually not. But there is a chance.

For that reason, the suggestion to find what channel it is using is a good one. If it's not in the reserved/restricted list, then it's the Roku. If it is using a channel in that range, it's the router configuation.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jodiebb
Level 8

Which channels are not on the reserved/restricted list (in the U.S.)? Thx

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@jodiebb 

Please read the entire thread. @renojim answered that, and there is other information that may be helpful.

Sometimes, the answers are simple, but many times they are not. Reading the thread is the best answer I can offer.

DBDukes

0 Kudos