Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ellie3
Level 7

weak wifi won't connect

Set up new router with new mac address do i need to change my wireless mac on my roku? If so how?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: weak wifi won't connect

Hi @ellie3

Thanks for the post.

You don't need to change your Roku's wireless MAC address but you may need to set up a new connection for your device to connect to. Feel free to follow the instructions below:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select Network.
  4. Select Set up connection.
  5. Select Wireless.
  6. Choose your wireless network from the list of available networks. If you do not see your network, select Scan again to see all networks. After you select your network, enter the password.

For more information, you can refer to this Support link: How do I connect my Roku® streaming device to my home network and the internet?

Let us know if this works for you!

All the best,
Kariza

0 Kudos
ellie3
Level 7

I have done that over two dozen times.  I have restarted my Roku 4 times.  Ocassionally it finds my wifi but it is two weak to connect.  I just bought a new Netgear Nighthawk wifi router modem and instead of improving the issue I now have 0 access to my Roku.

Frustrated in Texas

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Thanks for following up, @ellie3

Could you tell us if you are getting an error code? Refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Furthermore, if the affected device is a Roku Express or Roku Premier, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About or underneath the player itself.

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

0 Kudos