Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kb2040
Reel Rookie

unable to connect to wireless network

I came home from being away for 2 days and my Roku will not connect to a wireless network, but the network setting says excellent connection.  I have tried to do a factor reset but it not connect to the wifi next work.  What is going on?  I need help I have kidds at home that get to watch TV after school for 30 minutes and I need this running. 

0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: unable to connect to wireless network

@kb2040 

What Roku device do you have? The model number is important. Settings > System > About

Some Roku devices only support 2.4 GHz network, and some ISPs have been messing with the 2.4 GHz settings. So, let's rule this out first.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

I lost wireless connection - need help

Same thing here. Lost wireless connection late Thursday or Friday, ran through all the restarts and did factory reset. Bought a replacement Xpress at Target yesterday and same. No wireless connection on either Roku. All other devices doing fine on same network.  

edit - also worked through with tech support at Xfinity. 

0 Kudos

Re: Network problems with new update

We have ATT Fiber Optics.  All devices in the home are working except the Roku devices.  Yesterday, all Rokus in our home failed.  After confirming all Roku's are failing to connect, one of the three Rokus is tested.  Results are below.

Debugging results using ATT Router Device Manager:

1. Devices connected to the router show details of all Rokus as "off" when they are "on".

2. Test Ping results came back as packets sent to Roku and no response returned.

3. Trace Route Test showed all the addresses leading to the Roku and then nothing more.

4. NSLookup shows the address for the Roku "DUT", which is connected to the mac address verified within the Roku app.

5. We will not choose the option of resetting our home Wifi Router, as clearing the "cache" of the Router is not suspected to be this issue based on the results of all testing. 

Troubleshooting using Roku remote and Roku connections:

1. No option within the remote establishes re-connection to wifi, since #2 is true.

2. the Wifi is simply not scanned into Roku as a "viable" wifi.  As in, the wifi name for our Router's broadcast simply does not appear as an option in the Roku scanning results.

3. Attempting to clear the "cache" of the Roku by unplugging Roku = no go.

4. Attempting to reset the wifi connection using Roku remote = no go.

5. Attempting to turn off Roku and Wifi Router and re-initialize = no go.

6. Unplugging the Roku, and leaving off for some time does not work.

7. Roku's suggested finger dance on the remote.  The suggestion from the website's roku community of selecting remote buttons with specified number of times does not yeild any coherent response.  As in: Hit home 5 times, hit up 1 time, hit rewind 2 times, hit fastforward 2 times... then...  Nothing happens when this "remote dance" performance happens.  Perhaps a youtube video of what that means would be better!

Clearly, there is a handshaking issue between the Roku and Att Router. 

I look forward to seeing the progress updates!  Thanks for your support, as we do enjoy our Rokus!

0 Kudos

Re: I lost wireless connection - need help

Same! I’ve been on the phone with my internet provider and everything works! Excellent signal every other device connects except Roku! What’s the problem?! 

0 Kudos
Shakedown

Same here! What’s going on !!??

0 Kudos
atc98092

No one can provide any assistance without some additional information. What is the model number of your Roku? Not the name, need the specific model number, as Roku uses the same name on hardware that differs internally. You can find the model number on the Settings/System/About page.

Who is your Internet provider? Many ISPs can control your router settings, and recently some cable companies have been making setting changes without notice. With Comcast routers, they have been changing the 2.4 GHz radio mode to G/N, and it breaks Roku connections. The mode needs to be B/G/N. 

When you go into the Roku wireless menu and search for a connection, are you seeing your WiFi, but simply can't connect, or is your WiFi not shown at all? 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
renojim

Re: Network problems with new update

@MultiDeviceUser, if you're using 5GHz not all channels are supported.  If your router's channel is set to "Auto" set it to one that's below 50 or above 150.  AT&T likes to merge 2.4 and 5GHz SSIDs which I think is a horrible idea.  Give them different SSIDs (network names) and try again.  Ignore the warning from AT&T.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Help2123

Re: Roku won't connect , RESET, RESTART, MANY TIMES. SPORADIC

I can't connect my Sony TV.  I've reset the device many times.  Says wifi strength is excellent, Roku won't connect.  This has been going on for over a month.  I unplug and restart everything and occasionally it will finally connect.  ANY SOLUTIONS???  EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING.  

stebe303
Reel Rookie

Check for update:  Roku has released a rollback to 10.0

It fixed all my issues on my Roku TV

0 Kudos