Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tfrost2002
Level 7

ultra not connecting

I am unable to get the new ultra to connect to my mesh network.  My older roku was working ok not good but ok.  So I bought the newer model ultra because it was suppose to work better, stronger wifi etc.  I disconnected the old, plugged in the new, tried to connect and it will not.  I have two networks one less powerful than the other my old home network which the roku will connect but the signal is not strong enough (three bars should be enough but not)  and my stronger mesh network (gets 4 bars)  but will not connect.  All other roku in the hone connect ok but this one will not.  The mesh network is ac the older is ng etc.  If I disconnect the ultra and reinstall the older model it works but this much better (?) unit will not.   am also having problems with the unit not responding to the remote.  Push the button, push the button, push the button.  Older roku worked without all the hasels of the newer models. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated if not I will be returning the ultra. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: ultra not connecting

Start over with it by doing a hard reset. I've had more than once installed a new unit and had some glitch hang things up. 
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
tfrost2002
Level 7

Tried that several times.  Tried all the usual things.  I've been using roku for a long time now so the usual things are not what is going on.  

Thank you for the suggestion.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"tfrost2002" wrote:
Tried that several times.  Tried all the usual things.  I've been using roku for a long time now so the usual things are not what is going on.  

Thank you for the suggestion.

It actually sounds like you might have a lemon. I’ve had dozens of models over the years, including Ultra (4660). My current Ultra works well.

Depending on your old Roku model, I’d suggest exchanging it (if it’s a really old model or it has issues) or returning it (if it’s a Roku 3 or later with no issues).
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

The last Roku I acquired was from a friend who was ready to toss it, could not get it through entire set up. I plugged it in at my home and it stepped right through the process. You say that you have two wifi networks going. Have you tried temporarily shutting off the one that you don't want it connecting to just to simplify the set up? Also temporarily turn off security on mesh network.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos