Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgt1942
Level 7

ultra no internet connection

When I first purchased the Roku Ultra I utilized the Wi-Fi wireless connection but rather frequently I would encounter connection issues and get the message that there was no internet connection. Finally, after encountering this issue numerous times I ran a CAT 5 connection directly to the Roku Ultra box. Initially, I thought I had resolved the issue but tonight again I encountered the issue. I check my internet speed, it was 20 mbps, I have a 25 mbps service via cable in my community. In the Roku settings, I've set the Roku to the lowest speed for streaming. Normally after a period of time, say 20 minutes or more the issue will disappear. When I encounter the issue all channels seem to be impacted equally. At this time I'm totally confused as to what I should try. Suggestions???

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: ultra no internet connection

There's one of two issues. Either the Roku is faulty, or there's an issue with your network. Since wired and wireless use two different connections within the Roku, and both are having issues, that seems to point to your network as the issue. What is the brand and model of your network router? Is that what is providing your wireless as well? Do you have any other network devices that have any issues?
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jgt1942
Level 7

Thanks Dan, 
My router is "Netgear Nighthawk R7000" and provides the wireless for my home. A coax feed comes into the house and is connected to an ARRIS modem. It is connected via cat 5 to my Netgear. I'm not aware of other devices having problems. Our Samsung S5, Samsung Note 8, my wife's laptop and her iPad connects to the wireless. When I'm having problems with the wireless I will check my download speed using my phone (Note 8-), Chrome and going to fast.com. Sometimes it reports slow download (I'll have to recheck tomorrow, the phone is in use as a white-noise machine).

When I used the wireless I would have problems at least 2-3 times a week. Since I switched to the wired (about 3 weeks ago) I've only had problems one time and it lasted about 3 hours. So far I've not found anything that I've done (rebooting the cable modem and Netgear by powering them off/on and disconnecting the coax cable from the cable modem). The ISP suggested that when I had issues to disconnect the coax and power.

When I had problems the last time. I did check my download speed on my desktop and it was just over 20 mbps and I have a 25 mbps service. Thus I had more than enough speed for the Roku. The PC could access various websites without issues. 
Is there a troubleshooting procedure you can recommend. I feel like I'm reaching into a bag in a dark room and I don't know what is in the bag but I'm trying to find a specific tool that is somewhere in the bag with a bunch of other stuff. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Since it's doing it with wired, the usual thing to try (changing the wireless channel) doesn't seem to apply here, but you might anyway. Also, it might make a difference trying a different band. Routers are usually configured to use the same SSID for both bands (2.4 & 5 GHz). I rename mine so I know exactly which band I'm connected to. In most cases, the 5 GHz band is less crowded and provides a better experience. But again, it's doing it wired as well. But perhaps with these changes you might get a reliable wireless connection. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dgrace
Level 8

Since it has issues both wired and wireless I suspect its modem or ISP. Have you taken a look at speedtest.net and its graphic while testing download speed? On my cable connection I get a fast ramp up and then a stable signal until end of test. When I had connection issues the graphic was a very jagged line with severe peaks and valleys. ISP tracked down the cause and as I remember it was poor connection or failing device outside if house. You wouldn't detect this on laptop or phone, but streaming was hampered.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos