Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

strong wireless connection but no internet connection...

I have 5 Rokus and all have worked for years....last week they stopped connecting....they will connect to the wireless Network which is "strong" but not the internet and the rejection on that step is swift.....What changed suddenly....was there a software push on the ROKU or the Spectrum end that created a communication or messaging incompatibility at the Network Comms level.....Does ROKU monitor problems like this? all my other wireless devices work except my Rokus and i checked the download speed at my worst performing location with my laptop next to the ROKU and it was 50 Mbps....this really seems like a ROKU problem....has anyone experienced anything like this?  Can anyone, or ROKU help me?

17 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: strong wireless connection but no internet connection...

I started having the same problem yesterday with 2 Roku Sticks, a Roku Premiere and a Roku TV. All 4 devices have excellent network connection but unable to connect to the internet. No combination of resetting equipment has made any difference. Spectrum is my ISP. 

Interesting facts:

1. Based on another users suggestion, I tried using my mobile hotspot to connect the Roku to the internet - it worked perfectly, so the device itself isn't the issue. 

2. Netflix works (kinda), despite the Roku error 009 (Unable to Connect to Internet). It lags a bit when starting but I am able to stream, which tells me that the problem is NOT truly a lack of internet connection. 

Highlighted
Level 19

Has anyone tried changing DNS settings in their router?  I have Spectrum, but I only use their modem.  If possible, try 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 as a DNS server.  It probably won't make a difference, but it's easy enough to try.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

where is ROKU in this discussion.....why do they not address the obvious emerging issue?

Highlighted
Level 8

Ok, after a long arduous series of troubleshooting steps, I have solved the problem with my 4 Roku devices. The issue was with my cable modem/ISP. I spent most of yesterday and part of the day before going back and forth with my ISP (Spectrum) explaining the problem and they wouldn't accept that the common denominator was their service - the Rokus worked using mobile internet. 

After a point, I suspected that my cable modem was behaving differently (lights were off that had previously been on) so I started down that rabbit hole with tech support. When they were unable to remotely access my modem, I decided the equipment must be the culprit. I switched to a new cable modem and now all 4 Roku devices are connecting to the internet. 

FWIW, the previous modem was a Technicolor TC8715D DOCSIS 3.0 Modem/Router Combo.

My new modem is a Motorola? Technicolor? E31T2V1 DOCSIS 3.1

I truly hope this helps some of you who are dealing with this headache. I'll repost on the other threads that I replied to. 

Highlighted

I need to talk to someone 

Highlighted
Level 8

@luvdragonx - your seems to be my only logical recourse.  I have tried everything possible and numerous times.  I will try this step today and inform you of whether this also solves my issue.  

"Something is Rotten in the state of Spectrum"

Highlighted
Level 8

It’s not just Spectrum. I have Xfinity and I am experiencing the same problems as everyone else. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Same problem. No cure as yet

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem. 3 rokus all stopped working yesterday. Tried rebooting everything router, modem and the rokus themselves. I find it hard to believe that this is a router issue.. To all those responding and commenting here , to have had all of our routers have go to **bleep** at the same time causing only our rokus to stop working.? I call BS? When other things in all of our homes using the same router are working fine, just not the roku. Yeah is a Roku problem..