Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
darthvader1031
Level 7

Re: strong wireless connection but no internet connection...

we have 8 Roku devices in our house, Saturday 1 stopped connecting to the Wifi, it has full signal, but wont connect to the network, today we have second one that isn't connecting. Our kid's rooms each have Phillips Roku TVs, our daughter's TV wouldn't connect for several days, then finally did a couple days ago. Our boys' TV wasn't connected for a couple days as well, but I was able to get it connected to our 5G Wifi, lower signal strength than the 3G, but connected no problem. We've tried rebooting our Wifi, restarting the devices, I have even done a factory reset on our Playroom device (which was suggested in another post), and still no connection. All our devices were all updated about the same time and are running on the same system, so there should be no issues.

MAsmith
Level 7

I have been having this issue with my Roku ultra, which is connected with CAT 7 ethernet to a FIOS router.  It flashes in and constantly throughout anything I stream n CBS all access and YouTube TV.   AmazonPrime video is hopeless.   I can, however, stream Amazon prime video with the apps in my LG tv just fine, which to me points to the Roku Ultra.

My Phllips Roku TV which connects to the internet wirelessly through a wifi extender does not have these issues.    

luvdragonx
Level 9

@tkayp What model is your cable modem?

0 Kudos
luvdragonx
Level 9

@Doppchr What model is your cable modem?

0 Kudos
RSBRIZ
Level 8

Ok everyone - I had the same issue. 4 Roku devices that connected to wireless but could not connect to the internet but all other devices can. 

tried everything described in this thread ... restarting everything. Taking one device to factory mode. 

i use spectrum as my ISP. 

Someone said the only thing That worked for them was to take their Internet router out of the equation and install a new one. I did this tonight and it works perfectly. Something is very strange in the world of Roku.  

0 Kudos
SiliconOrb
Level 7

I just posted  this in a different thread:

-------

I just upgraded my routers and ran into the good connection but "no internet" issue.  I have several of the Ultras and a Premium stick.  All of them would work for a short time, and then I would see this issue, and no amount of resets would help.

As it turned out, the new router has improved security and BLACKLISTED each of them as having conducted a UDP FLOOD attack.  For me, solving it was as simple as going to the security settings on my router and increasing the threshold for what it interprets as a UDP FLOOD attack, and removing the ROKU devices from the blacklist.  Once I did this, the devices started working immediately.

If you are losing your connection on the SAME router which used to work fine, and no changes have been made to it, one of two things is possible.  A) Something has changed in the recent ROKU update and is triggering the router to see the ROKU traffic as a UDP ATTACK, and your router has flagged the device as a malicious actor and blacklisted it, or B) your ISP has sensed a perceived UDP ATTACK coming from the ROKU devices and blocked internet access.  If your router does not have the ability to loosen the restriction, then a different router will be the answer to the A scenario.  But if no router works, then it may require a call to your ISP to get the devices unblocked and/or whitelisted.

As this seems to be a recent development, perhaps ROKU needs to look at any changes they have made to keep these countermeasures from being triggered by their legitimate traffic.

Hope this helps someone.  I was pulling my hair out until I figured out what happened,

0 Kudos
heybemo
Level 7

We had 3 Rokus stop working Thursday with wireless router connection and no internet connection.  After relentless troubleshooting and advice from other Roku community posts, we went to local Spectrum office and their office rep said that recent thunderstorms have created massive problems with their modems and he has been swapping them out all day.  Took new Spectrum modem home and all Rokus are working once again.  If anyone's internet connectivity issues developed after recent thunderstorm activity in your area, the modem may likely be the cause.  

0 Kudos
Rdjntx
Level 9

I have two ROKU Ultras and Spectrum internet.  I had both my rokus quit working with the same symptom that most in this thread have.  connected to the wireless but no internet.  one was pulling an IP from my wireless router and the other didn't show an IP but when I looked in the router it has an IP assigned and when I pinged it I got an answer.  weirdest thing I think I have ever seen. ... I spent a few hours between Roku tech support and the idiots at spectrum and received exactly ZERO help.   I found this thread shortly after and took the advice several gave i.e. take the modem to spectrum and swap it out.  sure enough once I did that and reset my network everything came up.   

My guess is that something in a recent roku update is incompatible with older spectrum modems and that is why they are failing to fully connect 

0 Kudos
Sandy4438
Level 7

Yes. Same problem. What’s the problem?

Tried all the recommended fixes!

just bought it 3 weeks ago, worked fine then suddenly nothing. FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
alicia_b29
Level 7

I have xfinity as well and my other RokuTV is working just fine but it’s directly connected to the xfinity cable modem. However, my daughter’s rokuTV is wireless and that’s the one we’re having a problem with. 

Where are the rokuTV on these threads .... you have competition coming into the market so retain your base and step your game up!!

0 Kudos