Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex1688
Level 7

roku wifi says excellent wifi and has internet connection but apps wont work

my roku has "excellent wifi and internet connection" so the green checks pop up for both. however, once I go to my apps (netflix/hbo, etc) they wont load and says "error connecting to internet".

is this because of my network security settings? i have tried resetting my modem, resetting the network on the roku, and factory resetting on the tv but nothing has worked. so basically the only way i can use my roku is if I connect it from a signal from my personal hotspot on my phone, or if I plug in my laptop to the HDMI cord

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: roku wifi says excellent wifi and has internet connection but apps wont work

If the Roku is working fine on a hotspot, then yes there's an issue with your home network. What that might be I can't say, because there are so many variables. First off, what type of Internet connection do you have: cable, DSL, other? What is the make and model of your Internet router? Do you have any other routers within your network, such as a router used as a wireless access point? 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos