Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex1688

roku wifi says excellent wifi and has internet connection but apps wont work

my roku has "excellent wifi and internet connection" so the green checks pop up for both. however, once I go to my apps (netflix/hbo, etc) they wont load and says "error connecting to internet".

is this because of my network security settings? i have tried resetting my modem, resetting the network on the roku, and factory resetting on the tv but nothing has worked. so basically the only way i can use my roku is if I connect it from a signal from my personal hotspot on my phone, or if I plug in my laptop to the HDMI cord

Labels (2)
14 REPLIES 14
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku wifi says excellent wifi and has internet connection but apps wont work

If the Roku is working fine on a hotspot, then yes there's an issue with your home network. What that might be I can't say, because there are so many variables. First off, what type of Internet connection do you have: cable, DSL, other? What is the make and model of your Internet router? Do you have any other routers within your network, such as a router used as a wireless access point? 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
NevenPP

Re: roku wifi says excellent wifi and has internet connection but apps wont work

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my Roku Premiere Model 3920R bought some time ago at Best Buy.  I use the cable from Spectrum with a router Arris TG862G.  Would appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
gabrad55

I am trying to set up my roku, I had a netgear router but could not get internet. Got WiFi.

I bought a new  Linksys 3920. Now I cannot get wifi. cannot get past this to set up internet.

I want to drop my internet carrier if I can get this set up. Can you help?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@gabrad55 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
KinKStar
Reel Rookie

I have this problem and would like to know the solution please.  I changed the modem earlier today and have not been able to get my apps to recognize what Roku says is an 'excellent' connection.  Unplugged and replugged endlessly and frustrated to the moon by now.  I just want to resolve this and get going!  I do not have an alternate to try to connect so that's out.  Please help me, thanks.

Mar81

Did you ever find a solution? I am having this same issue!

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mar81,

Thanks for reaching out to Roku Community, I'd do my best to assist you.

A few questions here to better understand you're network issue: What Roku model device are you using? What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? What network frequency is your router using? In addition, have you tried rebooting your wireless network to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

Please follow the steps here to get up and streaming: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or ...

Please let us know and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
RockerG
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku TV. Shows excellent signal 2.4 & 5.1. Worked fine for 6 months.I’ve done everything Roku  says to do for a week now, with no success. Tried everything mentioned here. No success.

Hooked up a Firestick that I had from a non-Roku TV. Everything works fine with Firestick. 
Any thoughts on why a Roku TV doesn’t work with Roku says no signal but works perfect and fast with  Firestick? 

Thanks 

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@RockerG what brand Roku TV do you have? Remember that Roku doesn't make the TVs, they only provide the operating system. TCL is famous (infamous) about having a bad WiFi radio in their TVs. Usually it's simply a bad WiFi antenna connection, and can be fixed if you're handy with a soldering iron. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.