Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewefr
Level 7

roku ultra intermittent internet disconect

i purchased a Roku ultra last night from Walmart to get the 20$ off promo
i hooked it up it seemed to work great, but when i went onto live tv, the box keeps losing internet connection every few moments. why is this?
i tried hard line Ethernet and WiFi but the same occurrence happens every few minutes.
this has never happened with my Roku stick, besides it getting hot.
my apple tv which is also an old model never has this issue either.
please advise

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
andrewefr
Level 7

Re: roku ultra intermittent internet disconect

anyone else having this issue 
with intermittent stoppages during live streaming?
0 Kudos
IBJB7
Level 7

This has been an ongoing problem for me with Roku 3 and most recently with Roku Ultra using HD TV hardwired to Ethernet port. The system starts buffering (spinning circle) then loses Internet connection. Meanwhile, the Internet is still alive and running. Happens both during live streaming and playback. It usually reconnects after 5-10 minutes without intervention. Currently using YouTube TV. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very annoying!!

0 Kudos
karatemouse
Level 7

I had this same issue over Wifi. I have 300Mb/s to the internet.   Looking at my router's connection to the Roku it looked as if the Roku's buffer was overflowing.  I believed this overflow was causing IP packet loss.  After much trial and error I enabled QOS (Quality of Service) on my router and limited the bandwidth available to the ROKU to about 7Mb/s.  This eliminated the disconnects.  I have not had an issue for several months.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
rockn24x7
Level 7

I am having a very similar problem... Roku Ultra (Model 4670-RW) running build 9.2.0-4806 with Ethernet port connection on a 600Mb/s Internet connection.

It ran perfectly for a little over a month, then started in with the blackened screen intermittently that would show nothing then eventually we would see the spinning loop for a few seconds and ultimately the bouncing Roku logo comes up.  After a few seconds of that, it goes right back to the channel/program we were watching/streaming.  Haven't noticed it on any live streaming, just prerecorded content.

The other odd thing is that it almost seems like it is trying to do an update, but can't start it for some reason.  I check the auto-update screen and it seems like it is not updating (date is way behind current date).  Just a bit ago, I checked it manually and an update was available (9.2.0 build 4807-46), so I've updated it now.  But I don't know when it became available, so I can't officially say there's something wrong with the update process within the device.  I shall see if this fixes it or not... Anyone  have this occur, along with the original intermittent reboots?  TIA.

0 Kudos