Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
at_wong
Reel Rookie

roku s/w v 11 build 4193-46 on 4660RW periodically disconnects from internet

My Roku Ultra (4660RW) newly updated to V11 Build 4193-46 and I've started experiencing disconnects from internet. I'm on wired internet and my internet connection is working because my other devices work on it.

The disconnects happen on Youtube, Roku Channel App, Netflix and PBS apps. When these disconnects happen, my internet connection is still working for my other devices so my ISP is not at fault here.

I can stream the same video on other devices on my network without any issues. I've also noticed that my other Roku devices (Premier and Roku 3) do not show this issue.

Please let me know if you need more information.

-TIM-

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: roku s/w v 11 build 4193-46 on 4660RW periodically disconnects from internet

These steps should help:
1. Remove each app.  Press the * (star) button and then press “Remove channel.”  
2. Settings > System > Power (If not applicable, then skip to the next step) > System restart.  
3. Once the device is restarted, reinstall each app.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku s/w v 11 build 4193-46 on 4660RW periodically disconnects from internet

@at_wong wrote:

My Roku Ultra (4660RW) newly updated to V11 Build 4193-46 and I've started experiencing disconnects from internet. I'm on wired internet and my internet connection is working because my other devices work on it.

I can stream the same video on other devices on my network without any issues. I've also noticed that my other Roku devices (Premier and Roku 3) do not show this issue.

What is the model number and OS version of each of the working devices? Settings > System > About

Are they connected via Ethernet cable (Roku 3 has that capability, one model of the Premiere+ does as well)?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

at_wong
Reel Rookie

Including the above Roku model, I also have a 4230x (Roku 3) with s/w v11 build 4193-04 and a 4630x (Premier) with s/w v11 build 4193-29. All devices are connected to Cat5 cables. These 3 devices are NEVER connected to my WIFI network. On my network, my router is able to assign static ip addresses for all of these 3 devices so their ip addresses never change.

The issue with the 4660RW is that it seems to be crashing at the 33% mark when buffering. So all of my streaming apps seem to crash at 33% when buffering. Which is why I blamed the OS instead of the individual apps.

Hopefully this gives you enough information to find the issue.

-TIM-

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@at_wong wrote:

... Which is why I blamed the OS instead of the individual apps. ...

I'm not thinking its the apps, and I'm not thinking it's the OS. All three devices are running the same OS (yes, the suffix on the build is different, but to my understanding, that does not represent a difference in code; similar to the letter suffix on the Roku model, the physical hardware is the same for a 4660X, 4660R, 4660RW, 4660EU, etc.). I also will say that I'm not 100% certain of that, but that is my understanding.

I'm leaning towards the hardware. And I know you don't want to hear that.

The 4660 was a good device for several years for me, but the Ultra (regardless of model) never really quite stood the test of time as the Roku 3 (all model numbers are essentially the same hardware; they came with different software and accessories). The Roku 3 was the most rock solid device Roku ever built. The Ultra, however, is second in my mind, but still not quite as solid as the Roku 3.

If the number suffix on the build actually represents a difference in the code, then yes, it could be the software. But I really think it's the hardware.

But don't base your next action on that. Others here, to include @renojim, @atc98092, @AvsGunnar, @Tivoburkee, @makaiguy, @Strega, and others may have some better thoughts.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

AvsGunnar

@at_wong 

If you have already changed the ethernet cable at the suspect 4660 and have tried using another LAN port (a known good working port that one of your other devices uses that does not lose connection), then I am in agreement with @DBDukes that it is likely a hardware issue with the 4660.  Try swapping Ultra to another known good working location and see if any improvement.

If you connect the 4660 wirelessly and experience similar issue, then could be the network hardware.  If only happens on wired, then could just be ethernet port or driver on the 4660 (if you have ruled out ethernet cable and router port).  Also starting to see some of the older Roku devices experiencing issues due to aging power supplies, so would not necessarily rule out that either.  Removing any SD cards also a consideration if using.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092

With a wired connection, odds of a network issue are almost nonexistent. That leaves the device, with either a hardware or software issue. I don't have a 4660, but do have a 4640 and 4800 (wired), and a 4670 (WiFi), along with some other models. I haven't encountered any network issues with any of them, which tends to discount a software/firmware issue. That pretty much leaves hardware. It could be a simple as "dirt" inside the Ethernet jack, a bad Ethernet cable, of the hardware inside the Roku. This sort of device is so inexpensive (I recognize the Ultra isn't actually cheap, but it's not hundreds of dollars either) that any attempt to repair simply isn't worth the effort. Other than the Ethernet jack itself, there's really nothing that could be replaced, and even that is assuming you can source the correct part somewhere. 

The 4660 was released in Oct 2017, so it's approaching 5 years old. Not really "old", but it is getting up there in electronic years. I hate to say it, but it's likely some piece of hardware in the Roku, and not worth the effort to attempt a repair unless you're comfortable with a soldering iron and know what you're doing inside an electronic device. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

The 4660 was released in Oct 2017, so it's approaching 5 years old. 

So was/is the Express+ 3910 (aka the last model with analog composite A/V outputs), which I still own (owned it for two years!), except the 3910 does not have a wired Ethernet port.  
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos