Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smallie20
Level 7

roku premiere vs stick

I have a Roku streaming stick for one TV upstairs and bought the Roku Premiere for my downstairs TV only because Best Buy was sold out of the sticks and needed one that day. Could this affect my streaming speed? My TV with the stick works much better than the one without (Premeire). I have 500 mbps and my internet provider checked my speed on the downstairs TV which is fine but that's the slower one using premiere. Takes longer to load and sometimes even locks up which never happens on the other TV (stick).
Thanks
LC
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: roku premiere vs stick

@smallie20 wrote:
I have a Roku streaming stick for one TV upstairs and bought the Roku Premiere for my downstairs TV only because Best Buy was sold out of the sticks and needed one that day. Could this affect my streaming speed? My TV with the stick works much better than the one without (Premeire). I have 500 mbps and my internet provider checked my speed on the downstairs TV which is fine but that's the slower one using premiere. Takes longer to load and sometimes even locks up which never happens on the other TV (stick).
Thanks
LC

All Roku Sticks support dual band, so both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Also the latest Sticks support 802.11ac, which can be much faster than .11n. Depending on which model Premiere you have (I hate that Roku keeps reusing a name for a significantly different player), it might not support 5 GHz. I have the latest Premiere (3920) and it's single band. Also, depending on the model Stick you have it might have a better WiFi antenna built into the power cable. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos