Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

roku powers down

I wanted to find out if anyone is having an issue with Roku Express going offline. It seems to power itself down after a few days of non-use. If I unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in to the Roku player, it comes on and works as it should. It is this intermittent issue that is bugging me. Is there a sleep mode on the Express model?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: roku powers down

If a reconnection of the HDMI cable bring things back to life, this sounds like an HDMI "handshake" problem.  If so, maybe just switching your tv to a different input and back might trigger a new HDMI connection.

Are you powering your Roku by plugging it into a USB port on the tv?  See if plugging it into your house power using the USB power converter (or any other suitable one you may have around with at least a 1 amp output) fixes the problem.  I'm guessing your tv's USB port shuts down when you turn your tv off.  If your tv starts up faster than the Roku does perhaps the tv checks the HDMI port before the Roku has booted up far enough to respond so the set doesn't know there's anything connected to the HDMI port.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos