Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

roku express won't stay connected to wifi

My Roku Express won't stay connected to wifi for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.  I've followed all of the suggestions, restart, delete and restart account, etc.  Hulu live is the primary issue since I'm trying to watch football.  BTW, I can watch Hulu live on all other internet connected devices ie, pc, laptop.  The Roku express is located less than 2 feet from my router, so I doubt thats it.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: roku express won't stay connected to wifi

In reality it might be too close to the router. Sometimes it can help to move it a little further away. The wavelength at 2.4 GHz is just under 5 inches (122.45 mm), so if you're in a null for some reason it doesn't take much of a move to change the signal reception. 

Of course, interference from another 2.4 GHz signal could be causing a problem as well. Things like portable phones (not cell phones), other wireless access points/routers, etc. You might try changing the channel your wireless uses. That's done in the router/WAP settings.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: roku express won't stay connected to wifi

I read your reply to db876 and understand the possibility of conflicts on the 2.4ghz band.  I currently have 8 devices connected at 2.4ghz, 4 devices at 5ghz and 4 wired all on an ORBI router with 2 satellites.  2.4ghz runs on channel 11 and the 5ghz on channel 44.  

I have a Roku Express on a Vizio 24" about 16 feet away from Satellite #1 which is also connected to 4 other devices (cameras).  The Express keeps dropping the tv feed no matter if it's Prime, Roku channels or Sling.

I also have an Express on an older Sanyo maybe 12 feet from the router - it doesn't drop the signal anywhere near what the one for the Vizio does.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos