Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
db876
Level 7

roku express won't stay connected to wifi

My Roku Express won't stay connected to wifi for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.  I've followed all of the suggestions, restart, delete and restart account, etc.  Hulu live is the primary issue since I'm trying to watch football.  BTW, I can watch Hulu live on all other internet connected devices ie, pc, laptop.  The Roku express is located less than 2 feet from my router, so I doubt thats it.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: roku express won't stay connected to wifi

In reality it might be too close to the router. Sometimes it can help to move it a little further away. The wavelength at 2.4 GHz is just under 5 inches (122.45 mm), so if you're in a null for some reason it doesn't take much of a move to change the signal reception. 

Of course, interference from another 2.4 GHz signal could be causing a problem as well. Things like portable phones (not cell phones), other wireless access points/routers, etc. You might try changing the channel your wireless uses. That's done in the router/WAP settings.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DaGrinch
Level 7

Re: roku express won't stay connected to wifi

I read your reply to db876 and understand the possibility of conflicts on the 2.4ghz band.  I currently have 8 devices connected at 2.4ghz, 4 devices at 5ghz and 4 wired all on an ORBI router with 2 satellites.  2.4ghz runs on channel 11 and the 5ghz on channel 44.  

I have a Roku Express on a Vizio 24" about 16 feet away from Satellite #1 which is also connected to 4 other devices (cameras).  The Express keeps dropping the tv feed no matter if it's Prime, Roku channels or Sling.

I also have an Express on an older Sanyo maybe 12 feet from the router - it doesn't drop the signal anywhere near what the one for the Vizio does.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos