Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jph57
Binge Watcher

Re: roku express 3930x after windows 11 update

my router is Arris SBG8300.  

not sure how the firewall (or anything else) would have gotten changed overnight.  I don't have it set for automatic updates.

talked with Xfinity earlier today.  everything is set as it should be...according to them, but they aren't Roku knowledgable (according to the person I talked with).

I'm going buy another Roku tomorrow, as I needed one more anyway, and see if it will work.  If not, back to the store it goes.

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@jph57  Don’t buy a base model Roku Express. Buy a dual band such as the Stick 4K

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jph57 

Ok, lets unfortunately complicate matters a little more for you.  The Arris SBG8300 is a very good router as reported by those when it is working.  It can be a little troublesome for 2.4ghz devices as those with security cameras have found out.  There have been more than a few disputes with customers over this router as Arris will only provide warranty if certain specs are recognized.  These though are dependent on what Xfinity/Comcast as the Gateway Provider (ISP) will provide to the customer.

Since the user cannot manually install firmware updates to this router for security purposes (as least easily), only Xfinity/Comcast can install the updates and will occur automatically. (another example of the ISP overriding your settings of not enabling Automatic Updates).

Try testing your Router to see if the necessary cable signals are being provided to your router by Xfinity/Comcast according to a simple diagnostic testing procedure in your router's admin GUI. (https://arris.secure.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Cable-Signal-Levels).  The spec outlined are necessary for devices to operate properly on the network.

These results will also indicate if there may be a problem in the physical components of your system that may be contributing.

The Roku moderators were also asking for input from customers experiencing issues with Arris routers and OS 11 so will again tag @RokuKariza-D and @RokuDanny-R as they will know better the progress they are making on suspected issues with some Arris routers and if yours is included.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jph57
Binge Watcher

just a quick update to add to the mystery.

got up this morning and ultra is working again.  3920 and two 3930 still not working. 

no changes were made overnight to anything.

FastFurious
Roku Guru

@jph57   And if you connect of the not working Roku devices to your phone mobile hotspot they work? If so then there’s definitely something wrong with your Comcast modem. Be sure you go online and log into your Comcast modem to check the firewall settings to. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@jph57 

Good to hear the 5ghz band Ultra is working again.  Appreciate the update.

It does appear that the beacon for the 2.4 ghz band may be getting stuck and not releasing from the devices during your Network Connection Resets.   This is usually not physical in nature, but is usually in the firmware (driver error). 

I think a call to Xfinity/Comcast and ask them to confirm and "reset" the 2.4 ghz capability from their end is probably in order.  If you explain what you have done to date, they can hopefully get you up a little higher in their tiered support.  With a coordinated reset from both their end and yours, hopefully should be able to get the 2.4 ghz devices working again.

If you are still purchasing a new Roku device later today, the newer ones are all dual band (Express 4k/4k+, Streaming Stick 4k/4k+, the Ultra 4800, and the Streambars.)  As long as you set them up and operate them on the 5ghz band, appears you should be good to go. 

There is a way to use a laptop as both an AP or a mobile hotspot for troublesome connections (essentially you connect your Rokus through the laptop while the laptop is connected to the 2.4ghz), but this is a workaround and doesn't address the underlying issue.

Without using the wifi analyzer apps that are available (free), kind of shooting in the dark from here on.  Really need to know if the 2.4ghz is broadcasting and at what db(signal level).  I'd say contact Comcast and just watch something on the Ultra while you are on hold.

Of course, if you still wish to troubleshoot further, feel free to post back.

0 Kudos
Photo2

I am having the same problem with both of mine and even went and bought a new one and it says the same thing. I have done everything you have tried. All of mine keep saying it can’t connect to the Wi-Fi and even the new one I bought. I even rebooted my router and still nothing. There must be something wrong with all the Roku’s or their system is communicating right.

I have spectrum Wi-Fi.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@jph57 @Photo2

Thanks for the posts.

If you are having an issue connecting to your Roku device and are using an Arris router, we would recommend contacting your ISP (internet service provider) and request either that they update their router Firmware or replace the router with a newer model.

In the meantime, please provide us with the following information:

-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-MAC address
-software OS/version 
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
M107899
Reel Rookie

My 3930x does not recognize my network so It worked yesterday and not today. I can't see my network with this device. My roku stream bar works fine on my other tv.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@M107899 

Have you gone through the troubleshooting posted above in this thread, namely verifying that your 2.4 ghz band is On, Broadcasting, and set to b/g/n wireless mode (protocol)?

Your Streambar is likely using your 5ghz band.  Your Express (3930) is only capable of using the 2.4ghz band.  Try connecting your 3930 to a mobile hotspot (if available), and see if it connects.

0 Kudos