Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jph57
Binge Watcher

Re: roku express 3930x after windows 11 update

yes.  tried and same message.

I even unplugged my router to make sure it wasn't going to sneak by me.

0 Kudos
jph57
Binge Watcher

okay, so you are correct.  I reset the Roku and it is working with my hotspot.  So that proves it is a router issue, correct?  I can't leave my phone in there though so I still need to figure out the issue with the router.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jph57 

Thinking the 2.4ghz is actually off (or disabled by Comcast).

How about your Ultra?  Can it connect to both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz of your network.  (2 seperate tests here).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
jph57
Binge Watcher

okay, so now I'm really unhappy.  Been watching the ultra all day, but having switched to 2.4 it gave me the same message as the others.  switching back to the 5ghz, now gives me same messages.  so now I have no working Roku

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@jph57 

An issue with some Comcast routers and their firmware update is that it is causing a stubborn connection and disconnection issue with devices on the 2.4 ghz band.

Unplug your Router for a min or so. (Don't do a reboot, just unplug and let it discharge/reset).

Perform the Network Connection Reset procedure on the Ultra. (Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection).

Your Ultra will automatically reboot.  It will not find any networks because the router is off. After a couple of minutes, power up the router.  Then go into the Settings/Network/Setup Connection and connect to the 5ghz band of your network.

-----

You may be dealing with a failing router, corrupted router firmware, or even NVRAM errors here.  Are you able to post a screenshot of the Messages you are seeing on the screen.

0 Kudos
jph57
Binge Watcher

message is simply:

Can't run channel

"Peacock TV" could not be run because it could not be reinstalled from the network. Please check your network connection and try again.

Check connection
Cancel

Of course you can insert any channel name for "Peacock TV".  

I am on my way to BestBuy now to buy a new wifi router.  I don't believe this one is bad since all other devices are working.  

I won't disagree that it could be a setting, but not sure how that got changed over night unless it had to do with the OS 11.  All Roku are now set for OS 11.  Is there a way to go back to previous version?

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@jph57 

Sometimes on a case by case basis Roku will revert back to previous OS.  There were initial reports in the Community early on about "all channels unavailable to connect from network" error messages so not unique to your situation.  What does seem a little peculiar is it is affecting all your devices.

Before purchasing another router, you can always try to Factory Reset the one you have.  Since you have now connected back to the 5ghz band successfully and are only receiving Roku related errors, I really wouldn't replace the router just yet.

With cable ISP routers, there are some settings and changes you can make.  However, their firmware may override some changes you make.  If I were to get another router, I would get a reasonably priced TP-Link or Netgear and use that as my router.  I would leave the ISP router in place, set it to Bridge Mode and use it strictly as a modem gateway (a way to connect to the internet).  This way, all your settings and configurations are in that new router and all your devices with connect to the new router.

I am not one for just replacing equipment, as sometimes it won't help an underlying issue.  It is certainly network related though because the hotspot is allowing you to connect and operate the Roku devices normally.

I would probably factory reset my existing router and see if that resolves issue.  If not, then I would do the next step and replace or bridge the router.

Feel free to update or post as needed if you have any questions.  Sure would like to see you get this resolved.

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar  There is no 2.4 or 5.0 using a mobile hotspot. No settings in my iPhone or Android. That’s because it’s using the 5G wireless network from my carrier

@jph57   It’s clear there is something wrong with your Comcast modem. You aren’t by chance running any sort of VPN or firewall? My Cox panoramic gateway when the firewall is set to optimal security disables a lot of devices. I have to set to typical. If it works fine on your mobile hotspot then then go to the XFinity store and get another model. Which model do you own? The newer models are while and made by Technicolor. Or buy your own. 032157AC-B772-4040-82B7-3A06E19EEBAD.jpeg

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

If you want to continue to believe that is how a hotspot works and that you cannot select either a 2.4 or 5ghz AP on a mobile device, then so be it.  

I am certainly not going to belabor the point and detract from this thread.

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar  That is how it works. Do you own an iPhone? I do. We aren’t talking about a hotspot little device you can buy. I’m talking about using your phone. People do this when they have no power, no WiFi. They use there phones as a mobile hotspot. Which means you can hook your laptop, Roku or other WiFi devices to your phone and it will run off the 5G network from your wireless carrier. Or 4G. Whatever is available in your area. When you enable hotspot on your phone it automatically disables the WiFi your connected to and switches to using mobile data 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023

0 Kudos