Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku download speed is different than speedofme system test?

@retrorter Your TV has a Fast Ethernet connection. You'll never see a speed higher than the low 90s Mbps with that. My experience is that Roku never accurately reports the speed. So your TV is likely right around 90 Mbps. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

The only Speed Test site you should trust is the site provided by your ISP.

Also, take into consideration that Roku puts the brakes on wireless AC. All 4 of my wireless AC products have a line speed of 152mbps and not 866.6mbps with a strong wireless signal. 3 devices get 94mbps of download speed and one device a little further from my router gets 76mbps of download speed on the Roku download test. The only way you can find your line speed is in most cases is to logon your router.   

Even though Roku put a governor on wireless speed I have not had any issues streaming anything across the internet. 

0 Kudos
Rawbebaba
Channel Surfer

It's because the company Roku makes such a poor product and it's basically a scam at this point. 

Seriously guys don't waste your money don't buy anything from this company it's a disaster 

Rawbebaba
Channel Surfer

The thing is the boxes are just build poorly, my box is 1.5 feet away from my router which is putting out 300 Mbps, and my Roku box cannot maintain play of movies because it is getting between 1-7 Mbps. It's pretty clear that the issue lies solely with the product itself, ie it is built to break within a year as the only way Roku can make money is if you keep having to buy more and more of those boxes. I don't know if that will work as opposed to people just stop buying thier poorly made zero supported product. 

Rawbebaba
Channel Surfer

The answer here is that we all bought what amounts to a scam product with the only goal being maybe they will be dumb enough to buy a new Roku box.

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

The ultra boxes and Roku TVs have a 100 meg port not a gigabit port. My guess is that the new 8k TVs have a 100 meg ethernet port because that is more than enough bandwidth to stream anything 8k across the internet. The same thing goes with WIFI connections that cut off at 100 megabits a second too. That is plenty enough for 4k and 8k TV.

I have 5 Roku devices that are trouble free. 

Perhaps you need to call a professional like the Geek Squad to iron out your Roku problems.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Rawbebaba you can keep saying it, but it doesn't make it true. Several of my Rokus are connected via WiFi, and I can play anything other than my UHD ripped movies without a problem. Roku devices in general have no networking issues. It's almost always a problem/setting in the user's access point. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Wayne85
Reel Rookie

Does anyone have a code for a speed test channel 

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Wayne85 wrote:

Does anyone have a code for a speed test channel 

Private channels no longer exist. The only codes that remain available are for beta test versions, and they are time limited and have restrictions on the number of users. There are some channels that have internal speeds tests, such as Netflix. But I've found that most recent Roku devices report their Internet connection speed fairly accurately. That's using the Settings/Network/Check connection menu item.

Dan