Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

roku can't connect to internet and won't come up on tv

I have a Roku+ streaming stick that I cannot set up on my tv. It used to belong to my parents but they let me have it when I moved. It was connected to the wifi at their house and worked fine. Now that I've moved, I need to connect it to my new wifi. However, when I plug it into my TV, the light blinks to indicate that it can't connect to the wifi (because it hasn't been set up) but it also won't show up at all on the TV, which I've heard can also be because it has no wifi. I've tried to reset the stick manually by holding down the button, unplugging and all of that, but it hasn't worked. I can't bring it up on my tv at all to reset or configure the wifi. What should I do?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: roku can't connect to internet and won't come up on tv

Did you hold the reset for at least 30 seconds?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: roku can't connect to internet and won't come up on tv

@bulbasaur wrote:

... Now that I've moved, I need to connect it to my new wifi. However, when I plug it into my TV, the light blinks to indicate that it can't connect to the wifi (because it hasn't been set up) but it also won't show up at all on the TV, which I've heard can also be because it has no wifi.

Lack of a network connection should not prevent the Roku from presenting at least its user interface on the tv.

Some things to try:

• Make sure you have the TV set to display the same HDMI port as you have the Roku connected to.
  • Try a different HDMI port on the tv.
  • Try using a different HDMI cable.
  • Blow out the HDMI connectors on the HDMI cord, the Roku, and the TV to make sure there is not a dust accumulation preventing good electrical contact.
  • It is recommended that you power your Roku device via the power adapter that came with it, plugged into your house power, as the USB port on many tvs does not supply sufficient power to run a Roku reliably. If you no longer have the adapter that came with your device, you may have another one handy that can be used -- just make sure the tiny print on it confirms it has a 5 volt dc output of at least 1 amp.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos