Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gaquino44
Reel Rookie

recurring issues connecting to the internet

First of all I want to say that it is completely unfair that just because I have the least expensive option for roku means I do not have access to direct support. 

This is the 4th time I have had this issue since purchasing my roku 4 months ago, second time within one week. Suddenly my roku will say it cannot connect to the internet when my internet is working fine. I know this because wifi works on my phone and laptop etc, just not for my roku. Router hasnt moved, settings havent changed, it just decides it cannot connect for no good reason. The fix is apparently to change my wifi password comepletely. Doing this over and over again to update the password on ALL my devices is a waste of time. I want to replace this device free of charge. I want roku to contact me.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: recurring issues connecting to the internet

Hello @gaquino44

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for standard Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, if the affected device is either a Roku Express or Roku Premiere, please note that they are only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router broadcasts a 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect. You can check your device model by navigating to Settings > System > About.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
gaquino44
Reel Rookie

Today i wake up and it has happened AGAIN. Yesterday i went to advanced settings and made the roku forget the network but it would still not reconnect after setting up the wireless connection over again. tried this three times it did not work. i did a factory reset and it still would not work! the only fix was to change my password completely. My internet connection is indeed 2.4 and i am NOT changing ANYTHING about my router settings for these issues to reoccur. overnight it just decides it needs a new password.

the error message i keep getting is 014.30. i have the roku express. i follow the troubleshooting prompts and nothing works short of completely changing my password which is a waste of time as i have several devices at home that connect to my internet with no issue.

i believe my device to be faulty. i want a new one. i want roku to contact me directly.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

@gaquino44

Thanks for the reply.

Could you tell us who is your internet service provider? If it's Comcast or ATT, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@gaquino44 

Really not a Roku device issue, per-se.  Many users are able to use the 2.4ghz devices just fine on their networks with various settings/configurations.  The issue is that some ISPs are using router models with firmware that when configured with cable ISP are causing connection issues with 2.4ghz connected devices. (Including Roku devices)

The issue is the router mode/protocol speed setting in these circumstances, not the Roku device itself.  Your options are to change this setting on the 2.4ghz band or to purchase a dual-band Roku device that can use the 5ghz band.

In other instances, the ISP has made these changes to the router settings without customer knowledge (changed b/g/n to g/n) which then caused disconnections on it's customers' networks.

Feel free to post your Roku model number, router model number, and ISP if you need help.

Need to be realistic.  If you want to resolve issue, you will need to change the router settings (5 min fix) or purchase a device compatible with your network setup.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102