Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexw

prime video is giving me a vpn error msg

I was trying to watch a show on prime video. Today it gave me the error msg saying that I was using a VPN.  So I ended up calling amazon, telling them the problem, they have referred me to roku to resolve the issue. Said it was a setting in roku. I was told to call them to get help. No where have i found a number to call. I do use a VPN for my job because i work from home and it is needed. After that i disconnect it. My job is the only thing I use it for and it is only installed on my desktop. I dont know what to do now

0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: prime video is giving me a vpn error msg

@alexw 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Are you connecting your Roku device to your home wireless network without a VPN?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JerBeck
Channel Surfer

I am having same problem. Tried to watch my show on #Prime today and it says I have a VPN.  I don't.  Didn't even know what that was until today! LOL.  Anyway, called Amazon and they are supposed to call me back within 48 hours. I checked both of my Rokus and same error message. What is weird is that I just bought another Roku last night and logged into my Roku account last night, then this morning I am told by #Prime I have this VPN thing, when I don't.  HELP. Please someone has to know what this is.

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@JerBeck 

Have you tried rebooting all your devices yet?  modem/router/gateway/Rokus

0 Kudos
JerBeck
Channel Surfer

Yes. Rebooted. Unplugged. Reset. Everything. Even logged out of Prime and back in. It is just so weird that I logged into Roku last night to buy a new Roku and then this morning Prime tells me I have this VPN thing.  Everything else works fine. Weird,  just weird and I don't think that it is a coincidence.  But no one has an answer.  Ugh...

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@JerBeck 

Who is your ISP?

Assuming you are in the US, my guess is some engineer at Prime falsely flagged a domain/IP range as "VPN" (for blocking).

I wouldnt wait for Prime to call me back, I'd call again tonight & tomorrow, and request service credit as well.

0 Kudos
JerBeck
Channel Surfer

What do I tell them when I call?

Yes, I live in Oklahoma and my internet provider hasn't changed.  It is Bolt Fiber Optic through Rural Electric Corp. I have had it for 3 years. Same router. Nothing different except logging into Roku last night. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

On your computer/phone/tablet go to a website (such https://www.iplocation.net/) that identifies the IP (internet protocol) number your internet provider currently has assigned to your internet connection as well as the location associated with that IP and the IP's owner.

If the owner of that IP is identified as your known internet provider:

• Make note of the IP number and owner.

• Contact Prime Video support tell them your IP number, your internet supplier, and that they have mis-classified your IP as a VPN.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
JerBeck
Channel Surfer

I called my internet service provider today.  Went over the issue.  They said, they really had no idea but would gladly default my router and push updates just to see if that would help.  It took a bit, and that worked.  I asked them again specifically what they did so I could relate it to anyone else having this issue.  They said they defaulted my router.  That was the term they used.  So I have no idea, and they said the really didn't either but took a chance and it worked. yippee

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@JerBeck 

Means they reset it with factory or provider default settings - good it worked out, and thanks for posting back so that others may see this resolution for the same issue.