Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markbrotman
Level 7

poor weak signal

Come on Roku !

My 2 month old Premium connection to my network wifi is always poor to fair, causing at times garbled audio .... My phone in that room shows excellent connection to the same network and my Amazon stick also shows a great connection.

What could this be ? or is something obviously wrong with the wifi mechanism?

I have reset all, router, stick, numerous times 

any ideas other than toss it !?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: poor weak signal

@markbrotman wrote:

Come on Roku !

My 2 month old Premium connection to my network wifi is always poor to fair, causing at times garbled audio .... My phone in that room shows excellent connection to the same network and my Amazon stick also shows a great connection.

What could this be ? or is something obviously wrong with the wifi mechanism?

I have reset all, router, stick, numerous times 

any ideas other than toss it !?

No such model as Premium.  Premiere, perhaps?

Premiere is a lower end model with single band wifi capability that only operates in the 2.4 GHz band.  Might your other devices be connecting in the 5 GHz band? 

The 2.4 GHz band tends to be more crowded than the 5 GHz band because many more systems use it, and not just for wifi, so interference that can impair performance is not uncommon.  I'd suggest going into your router configuration to try experimenting with switching the 2.4 GHz band to different channels -- if you can find one with less outside interference it may help your performance.  For help in locating less-used channels, look for an app you can install on your wifi-equipped phone or laptop that can show you what is connecting to the various channels in your vicinity.

Of course, it's always possible that your particular Roku unit actually is defective and ought to be replaced.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos