Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

not connected to wifi and no remote

so i have watched videos on how this works but my situation is slightly different. the tv my roku stick is connected to has been connected before and i just recently plugged it back in however the device is not recognizing the wifi from before it is the same network etc heres the kicker i do not have a remote and i am by myself and i do not have any other devices with me i understand that my phone and the roku stick need to be on the same network is there a way to let me link the app on my phone with the device? if the situation is unclear please let me know and i can try to clarify 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 21

Re: not connected to wifi and no remote

Are you using 5GHz or 2.4GHz?  If it's 5GHz, the Stick will only use certain channels.  If your router changed channels to one of the unsupported channels that may be why it won't connect.

0 Kudos
Level 19

@renojim wrote:

If it's 5GHz, the Stick will only use certain channels.

The 5 GHz channels supported by Roku devices are 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161.

The other channels in the 5 Gz band are shared with other uses such as military, radar, and weather, so they are more prone to outside interference. These channels are termed DFS (dynamic frequency selection) and are not supported by Roku devices.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 19

@ndfaro wrote:

the tv my roku stick is connected to has been connected before and i just recently plugged it back in however the device is not recognizing the wifi from before it is the same network etc

If I understand you correctly, your router is using the same network name (SSID) and password as before, but your Roku, which previously connected to this wifi, now does not.

I've had this happen several times and I have always had success by restarting the router, and when the router is back up, restarting the Roku.  This, for me anyway, has always let the Roku find my network, and enabled me to set the wifi connection back up on the Roku.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos