Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcusPCB
Level 7

(mod) adding 2 short External wifi antennas to Roku Stick

Since the Roku sticks have always been fairly easy to disassemble, & one can find the 2 wifi antenna fairly easily, not to mention see their reception on one of the "hidden" screens, I found it strange that I could not find any information on having an external antenna mod...
Seems like 1 or 2 short wifi antenna would fit easily on the outer casing (drilling 1-2 small holes) & attaching them would require some very simple soldering... Then just pull up the hidden screens to verify a signal increase on each antenna & check that there has been no spike in the unit temperature.
(Picture showing internal wifi antenna)

Am i missing something more technical that would make this a bad mod to try??
Any input appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: (mod) adding 2 short External wifi antennas to Roku Stick

how the "antenna" is made is actually somewhat important to Wifi.  

Have at it, at worst you'll waste a $20 stick.
0 Kudos
xxcrashxx
Level 7

Re: (mod) adding 2 short External wifi antennas to Roku Stick

"MarcusPCB" wrote:
Since the Roku sticks have always been fairly easy to disassemble, & one can find the 2 wifi antenna fairly easily, not to mention see their reception on one of the "hidden" screens, I found it strange that I could not find any information on having an external antenna mod...
Seems like 1 or 2 short wifi antenna would fit easily on the outer casing (drilling 1-2 small holes) & attaching them would require some very simple soldering... Then just pull up the hidden screens to verify a signal increase on each antenna & check that there has been no spike in the unit temperature.
(Picture showing internal wifi antenna)

Am i missing something more technical that would make this a bad mod to try??
Any input appreciated!

Forgive me for reviving a "dead" thread, but I have some info to contribute on this matter.  I just attempted a similar mod on the Roku Express 3700x.  It has a completely different form factor and layout than the Roku you posted a picture of, but it does have a similar component at the location of Antenna 1 and Antenna 2 as the one you posted(as well as other solder points for the antenna, which I was able to easily utilize). Upon inspecting it from the side with a jewelers loupe and a bright led, there does appear to the a total of 3 solder spots under that component.  One in the center and one on each side of it. 
This is purely speculation, but if you were to use a hot air smd rework station to carefully remove that component, you should be able to utilize those points to connect an external antenna.  The two outer solder points should be the ground points, and the center one should be the main line for the antenna.  I would recommend to fully inspect the board(visually and with a multimeter) and follow the traces as best as possible to confirm this before you start doing any soldering to it, but you assumptions do seem plausible.
Just a side note, I've been messing with electronics and soldering for about two thirds of my life as a hobby and about one third of my life professionally. I'm not saying I know everything, but I do have a decent amount of experience as this type of work.  It's entirely up to you if you choose to attempt this, just as a disclaimer, If something breaks along the way, don't blame me.  If you or anyone else attempts this, I wish you the best of luck.
0 Kudos