Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep losing two of four streaming sites

I lose connection with two of four streaming sites.  Netflix is always working and I can 'fight' my way to get Prime, but Hulu and Apple TV show error code saying there is no internet connection (again.  I can get netflix).  I have done dozens of re-stars and a few 'factory re-sets.  I then re-load all the subscriber info .. passwords and log-ins.  Then everything works.  But, turn the TV off for a few hours and Apple-TV and Hulu are lost 'no internet connection'.  

I installed a sim card, formatted it and re-loaded everything two more times ... thinking it was user error.  Everything working and loading fast.  Turn the TV off for few hours and it's lost for Hulu and AppleTV

Roku -2.  Direct wired connection.  Frontier cable/Internet supplyer.

Any help is welcome.  I'm willing to buy a new Roku unit if thats the fix.

Thanks

Bob

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: keep losing two of four streaming sites

@quickwhistle wrote:

... I installed a [microSD] card, formatted it and re-loaded everything two more times ... thinking it was user error. ... ...Roku -2.  Direct wired connection.  Frontier cable/Internet supplyer. ...

My question for you is, did you have a microSD card installed the entire time? And are you saying you removed it, put in another, formatted it, and things still are not working? Or were you operating without one and then added one?

Be aware that the microSD card is only for onboard app storage. That is, it extends the amount of onboard space available for apps to be stored, meaning it won't have to re-download apps as often. It does NOT increase the device memory in any way.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos

everything was working for a long while.  Then Hulu would not load up.  Never could get Apple TV until I did a ser-start.  having failed multiple times to keep the sites loaded and working, one of the Roku site fixes was 'add a sim card for more memory' ... I understand that this was a fix for games too but the Roku site suggested this and i did it.

so:  No.  I did not have a sim card when things stopped working.  I tried to re-start and re-load a few times with no success.  Sites would work but I'd lose two of them when the TV was turned off.

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@quickwhistle wrote:

... one of the Roku site fixes was 'add a sim card for more memory' ...

That may not have been an actual Roku site, because Roku devices don't use SIM cards. They use microSD cards. Those are not the same thing, and Roku would not have said to use a SIM card. Also, the microSD does not affect memory at all, simply onboard storage. That also leads me to think that was not an actual Roku site that gave that information. Unless it was an earlier version of this forum, where another user gave bad info, which can happen, but no one from Roku would have given bad info like that.

@quickwhistlewrote:
... so:  No.  I did not have a [microSD] card when things stopped working.  I tried to re-start and re-load a few times with no success.  Sites would work but I'd lose two of them when the TV was turned off.

I was hoping you had been using microSD cards, because that process is buggy at times and actually removing them is often suggested. But, as you haven't been using the cards, there's something else going on. And that's bad news.

What I'm trying to avoid is any conclusion that the Roku 2 model 4210, released in 2015, has reached end of life. That may be what's going on, but we want to avoid that conclusion until there are no other conclusions.

You say it happens when you turn the TV off. That indicates the Roku is in an idle state for a period of time, as the Roku 2 doesn't actually turn off. Assuming you stopped streaming before you turned the TV off, the Roku will go to screen saver after a period of time (how long depends on your device settings).

Some screen savers can cause issues.

Oh, this can be tested by not turning off the TV, but just letting the Roku go to screen saver, then seeing if the issue returns.

What screen saver are you using? Is it one of the default Roku ones? Or one with weather/news/other information?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Avaya
Roku Guru

@quickwhistle  A Roku 2 is a very old unit and you would be best to upgrade your Roku. Several are on sale. 

0 Kudos
Jb5212cjc
Reel Rookie

Age of the device is not the issue.  I have the same problem with a Streaming Stick 4K.  Just bought 6 months ago (12/23/21).  Problem started at 4 months.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jb5212cjc

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?
With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jb5212cjc
Reel Rookie

I subscribe to DirectTv Stream, Netflix and Prime Video, and also watch Youtube.  I have a Streaming Stick 4K I recently purchased, as noted above.  I get the error message "HDCP Error Detected" requiring me to Unplug, Turn off, and Reconnect.   I got tired of doing that.  So, now if I try DirectTv and get the message, I go to another.  If that one also gives the message, I pick another.   I have had two not accessible at one time.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jb5212cjc

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more detailed information about the issue you are experiecing:

-What Roku model device are you using?
-What is your TV's resolution?
-Did this issue start happening when you updated to OS 11.0 or did you see this prior to the latest OS update?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
jc07
Reel Rookie

I have similar issues in three devices, last year it happened only in a Roku Stick in wich Prime Video and YouTube didn't work. In January of this year my Roku Stick and another 2 Roku TVs suddenly saying cannot connect to my wi-fi network. And just today again Prime Video, YouTube channels says no internet connection but HBO Max works, slowly but works. The two first times of these issues it solved by itself. Of course I've been trying restarts but nothing works it just simply start working again after days or weeks 😞

Roku Stick MX version 2016

TCL Roku TV (2019)

Hisense Roku TV (2020)

0 Kudos