Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
preppystud
Level 7

is roku 2 (older) still usable? keep searching for devices.

i have the old roku 2.  i don't use it often. 

i wan trying to watch abc via roku, it disconnected it twice in less than 15 minutes.  the roku app shows "keep searching for devices". 

i was able to use it to watch youtube yesterday, but today it keeps disconnecting. 

it has happened before. sometimes i can watch shows without disconnection. 

i wonder if the older roku 2 is still usable, or it is due to my internet connection problem?

thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: is roku 2 (older) still usable? keep searching for devices.

My guess is its a network issue. The older models lack speed and capacity but my old 2 still served up video, and probably still is, where ever it now lives.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

How old? The oldest Roku 2 was from 2011.. there are newer, better Roku 2s.. yeah, thanks, Roku for not incrementing their model names well
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"preppystud" wrote:
i have the old roku 2.  i don't use it often. 

i wan trying to watch abc via roku, it disconnected it twice in less than 15 minutes.  the roku app shows "keep searching for devices". 

i was able to use it to watch youtube yesterday, but today it keeps disconnecting. 

it has happened before. sometimes i can watch shows without disconnection. 

i wonder if the older roku 2 is still usable, or it is due to my internet connection problem?

thanks.

As others said, the Roku 2 probably isn't the problem. Now, because as mentioned, the Roku 2 name was used a lot in different devices, let me offer this.

If you have the Roku 2 model 4210 (I suspect this is NOT the device you have) you have a very good device. It's the very same as a Roku 3 (model 4200) despite the different model number and device name.

If you have the Roku 2 model 2720, it's an older, slower device that's roughly equal to the Roku 1 (2710) and only slightly better than the Roku LT (models 2400, 2450, 2700). While it's not likely the cause of the problem, it's a slow device and if you're thinking of upgrading, that's a good idea. The Premiere (3920) would be today's rough equivalent, but much much faster.

If you have a Roku 2 [something] -- that is Roku 2 XS, Roku 2 XD, or Roku 2 HD -- then you have a really old device that might be worthy of upgrade consideration.

Again, as others mentioned, the Roku might not be the issue. If you are able, move it to another location and see if something might be interfering. If things clear up, it's likely not the Roku. Otherwise, an upgrade might be in order.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jontalk
Level 7

Just thought I'd mention the Roku Black Friday deal on the Ultra 4661R for $49.99 or half price. I'm on the fence having upgraded my TV to an OLED using a Roku 3 which hasn't failed me yet.
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos