Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peebot
Level 7

is Roku Express + 5g compatible?

I recently got a brand new 2019 Roku Express + and it is not recognizing our 5g networks.

Our previous Roku 3 does, am I doing something wrong? or are the Roku Express not compatible with 5g networks? and if so, how is that possible on a new device? 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: is Roku Express + 5g compatible?

First, it 5 GHz, not 5G. The latter is used for cellular networks, not WiFi. But no, the Express/Express+ does not support 5 GHz WiFi, so no 802.11ac. Doesn't matter which version of Express it is, none of them were dual band. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Peebot
Level 7

Ok thanks, could you give me a recommendation (without a semantics lecture) on the best model in that price range to replace it? 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Peebot wrote:

Ok thanks, could you give me a recommendation (without a semantics lecture) on the best model in that price range to replace it? 

Sure. If dual band is a requirement for your use, the Roku Stick+, or even the older versions of the Stick are all dual band and would be the lowest cost. I wouldn't go any older than the 3800 Stick, however. They also come with WiFi Direct remotes, so direct line of sight isn't needed for control. The Stick+ also incorporates the WiFi antenna into the power cord for better reception. While many TVs have a USB port that could be used to power the Stick, not all TVs provide enough current to power the Stick, so the wall connection is still preferred.  

The only other Roku with dual band WiFi is the Ultra, which also has an Ethernet jack for a wired connection. It too comes with a WiFi Direct remote, but can also be controlled with an aftermarket IR remote. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Peebot
Level 7

perfect, thanks a bunch. just ordered the Stick+! super weird that the remote for that one has no mute button and the one I have does, but whatever. Really appreciate the assistance. 

0 Kudos
Peebot
Level 7

OK, I've encountered another hurdle. I now have the the stick and it's working well, connected to the 5ghz network and the quality is much better, so that's a big improvement EXCEPT, the remote no longer controls the volume.

I am running a BenQ projector through an Onkyo receiver and previously both the Roku 3 and the Roku Express + units controlled the volume no problem, but the Stick appears not to have the capability to control the volume through a receiver. is this correct? 

Is there a way around this?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Peebot wrote:

OK, I've encountered another hurdle. I now have the the stick and it's working well, connected to the 5ghz network and the quality is much better, so that's a big improvement EXCEPT, the remote no longer controls the volume.

I am running a BenQ projector through an Onkyo receiver and previously both the Roku 3 and the Roku Express + units controlled the volume no problem, but the Stick appears not to have the capability to control the volume through a receiver. is this correct? 

Is there a way around this?

CEC is probably not enabled on the Stick. Since I don't have that model, I can't say exactly where it is in the menu, as Roku labels it differently on different devices. On my Sharp Roku TV (only one handy at the moment, it's under settings/system/control other devices (CEC)/1-touch play. That has to be enabled for the volume to work over HDMI via CEC. Since I'm almost certain the Roku 3 didn't have a remote that could control other devices via IR, that is likely the setting you're missing.

Dan
0 Kudos
Peebot
Level 7

1-touch play is enabled. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

OK, no idea then. My Roku players with a volume control on the remote (just the two Ultras) have worked via CEC just fine to my Yamaha AVRs. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Peebot
Level 7

well that's frustrating. Solved one problem only to open up a new one.

I'm also new to this community support situation, is there a chance someone else will hop in with other options or solutions, or is this thread now at a stopping point? 

0 Kudos