Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kate611
Channel Surfer

ipad not finding roku for screen mirroring

I am trying to use screen mirroring on my iPad to my Roku streaming stick. I was able to do it with my iPad when I was at my parents' house on their roku, but I'm unable to do it on my own roku. It just doesn't appear on the screen mirroring menu. I tried it on my phone as well, same issue. My ios is up to date, the roku is up to date, they are both connected to the same wifi. I tried turning off and on the wifi on both my roku and iPad. I tried restarting my roku and my iPad. 

I am not sure what else there is to try that I'm not thinking of?

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: ipad not finding roku for screen mirroring

Hi @kate611,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Please be noted that Screen mirroring with a Roku device is not supported with iOS or Apple devices. You can, however, use your iPhone or iPad to:

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other concerns.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
kate611
Channel Surfer

@RokuMary-F Hi, it may be using Airplay technology but I called it mirroring because you tap screen mirroring to use it. That's how I used it at my parents' house, I selected screen mirroring on my iPad and the roku popped up, and I selected roku and it mirrored to their screen. So I should be able to do that same thing on my own roku.

This is what I'm talking about: https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-mirror-iphone-to-roku

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

On your Roku, you can check the setting of:

Settings->System->Advanced system settings->device connect

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@kate611 wrote:

@RokuMary-F Hi, it may be using Airplay technology but I called it mirroring because you tap screen mirroring to use it. That's how I used it at my parents' house, I selected screen mirroring on my iPad and the roku popped up, and I selected roku and it mirrored to their screen. So I should be able to do that same thing on my own roku.

This is what I'm talking about: https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-mirror-iphone-to-roku

Roku supports several protocols for casting and mirroring:

1) DIAL - casting

2) Miracast - mirroring

3) AirPlay - casting & mirroring

Just as an FYI, for Roku (and most non-Apple products), "screen mirroring" (available for 6 years) refers to Miracast, and "AirPlay" (available for 6 months) refers to AirPlay.

Remember, Rokus arent Apple devices - since you are posting and seeking help for a Roku product on a Roku support board, you have to use the relevant Roku product terminology.  So when referring to AirPlay, say "AirPlay mirroring" and "AirPlay casting" so as to not create confusion and frustration for yourself and others.

As to your specific issue - AirPlay support is available for some models with OS9.4, and other models with OS10, and not every stick model is supported:

https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733

Roku Streaming Stick®+ 

3810, 3811 

Roku Streaming Stick 

3600, 3800, 3801 

If you dont have OS10, you wont have AirPlay support with your 3800, and even if you do, AirPlay support may roll out with a later build of OS10 than what you may currently have, so you may have to wait (this is what happened with 9.4 - the initial builds did not have AirPlay support, later builds did).

0 Kudos
kate611
Channel Surfer

@StreamerUser I was just explaining it with the terminology that shows up on my device, and then explaining why I called it that because I didn't know it as anything else, not trying to cause frustration.

Mine has software version 10.0 so it looks like that might be all it is, that it hasn't been released yet for my device. Thank you for letting me know.

0 Kudos
hrussd
Reel Rookie

I was able to use screen mirroring to display from my iPad recently (about two weeks ago, perhaps). Has there been a change?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@hrussd

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that screen mirroring is not supported for iOS devices, unless using Airplay.

For more information about Airplay on Roku devices, visit our Support page here: 

How do I use AirPlay and HomeKit with my Roku® streaming device?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Chipper1

Hi. I have an iPhone 12, software version 14.7.1 and a Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810X, software version 10.0.0.  I used to have no trouble screen mirroring my phone to my TV via the streaming stick. I would go to the phone control center, tap "screen mirroring", "roku streaming stick +" would come up as an option, I would tap it, air play would start, and I was in business. Now when I tap "screen mirroring", the streaming stick will not come up.  I've tried unplugging & restarting the streaming stick, doing a factory reset on the streaming stick, restarting the phone, and I've checked internet connections, all to no avail. Suggestions anyone?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Chipper1

Thanks for the post.

Have you made sure that the iPad and the Roku device are on the same wireless network?

Please keep us posted and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos