Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: internet connection issue with nothing other than roku

Jump to solution

@KathleenMann101  Call Comcast 

0 Kudos
KathleenMann101
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Smiley Sad And say what exactly? I need mode 802.11 b/g/n?

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@KathleenMann101 

Some Xfinity/Comcast routers are not configurable by the end-user.  If you end up calling  Xfinity/Comcast, explain to them that you need "legacy b mode enabled for your Roku streaming device and need modes b/g/n enabled as such".

Additionally, some Xfinity firmware GUI still have their Wireless Mode adjustment under their "Advanced" Settings.  If you are not seeing an "Edit" feature, look under Advanced.  If you are seeing an "Edit" feature but it is greyed out, then unfortunately, not user configurable.

Another route to try is to try using the Xfi mobile App.  Some have found success by selecting "Forget device".  Here you would forget the Roku device.  Then try to establish a new connection.  (would probably restart both the Roku and Router before selecting new connection).

-----

@DedeMarie29 

What is your Roku model number, your router model number, and your ISP (internet provider).  Also, what build is your Roku OS.

The Roku model number and OS can be found under Settings/Systems/About 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

What @AvsGunnar said. When you lease a modem from Comcast, they lock you out of certain settings. They feel they know better than you what the settings might be (even through they are often wrong). As mentioned, first contact Comcast support and ask them to make the requested changes. I spent 6 months trying to get Comcast to fix the port forwarding on my modem, with no success. I finally decided to install my own router and put the Comcast modem in Bridge mode. The Comcast modem now no longer provides anything other than the Internet connection. My new router provides the firewall, WiFi connections, and I have full control over all functions. 

Why do I rent the Comcast modem instead of buying my own? Because Comcast unlimited data costs more than renting the Gateway modem, which includes unlimited data. So I save $5 per month by renting the unlimited data modem, and I didn't have to spend $150 out of pocket to buy my own modem. That's the way the rates work for me. Other locations might differ, so always check what is offered for your specific location.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
KathleenMann101
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The advanced setting advice worked!!!! Thank you so much!!!