Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hotel mode still doesn't work reliably

Once and only once was I ever able to use my Roku Streaming Stick+ to connect while at a hotel.
I purchased it specifically for this reason.
The procedure is really a Rube Goldberg design. It times out way too quickly. The wifi hot spot appears and dissapears from my devices, such that I am not able to actually complete the sequence.
I noticed a thread on this back in 2016. Apparently they have not bothered to address it. They just keep advertising it as a solution.

I have decided to give up on this device for travel. I am now looking for a product that will actually work.
Any suggestions?

The Roku SS+ looks to be destined to the land fill. Maybe I will find it useful at home...
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 13

Re: hotel mode still doesn't work reliably

I use my older SS without issue at hotels all the time. I usually use my iPad for completing the authentication, but I have used my iPhone as well. I haven't noticed any issue with the access point timing out too quickly, although I recall that happening way back when they first introduced it. You could always try the Amazon Fire TV Stick, but I believe it has a similar hotel mode, so not sure you'd get anything better there. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos