Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KBJ324EVER

help with wifi strength at hotel and connecting phone

Does anyone have any tips on making my connection to my TCL Roku TV better at a hotel that im staying at for a while. I lose signal, its constantly buffering and not available to connect to my phone(iphone 12 promax) so I cant cast or mirror anything either….HELP because I love my roku and I am currently looking for a new place to live so will be here a bit!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: help with wifi strength at hotel and connecting phone

Since you have no control over any of the Wi-Fi settings, you might want to look into a travel router or some kind of Wi-Fi extender.  Those can be finicky, so whether it will help or not is hard to say.  @atc98092 may have some suggestions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: help with wifi strength at hotel and connecting phone

If you brought your own TV to a hotel, you must be staying there long term. I did the same, buying my own Sharp Roku TV while I stayed there, then shipped it home when my detail in that location ended. 

Since I was there long term, I also brought one of my personal computers with me. I added a USB WiFi adapter, and connected the PC to the hotel. I then connected my own router into the computer's Ethernet port and enabled Internet Connection Sharing in Windows. The computer connected to my Roku TV via HDMI for the display, and I maintained the hotel WiFi connection with it. I then had my own private WiFi within my hotel room that had no issues connecting to my Roku Stick (on a hotel TV in another room), my iPad and laptop for work, my phone, and any other networked devices. As far as the hotel could see, I only had one device connected to their network. My phone or iPad could screen mirror to the Roku TV or Stick. None of that would be possible using the hotel WiFi connection, as it would be considered public and no device could see another. 

Since I brought the computer and router with me, my only expense was the cost of the TV I purchased while I was there. If you have a Windows laptop with you, the same thing would work for you. Connect the laptop to the hotel WiFi and connect the laptop's Ethernet port to a router to provide your personal WiFi network. I placed the router in bridge mode, as I wanted my devices to be able to access the Windows computer as well, since it was running Serviio and I could watch my own media on the Rokus. If you have no need for your devices to see the computer, then leave it in router mode to simplify installation. Since I have quite a bit of computer and networking knowledge, this was a simple setup for me. But for most users, it's best to keep it as easy as possible.

Just remember one thing about hotel WiFi. In most cases, you won't get a vary fast connection unless you are a member of status with that hotel rewards program. In my case staying at a Marriott property, my speed was only around 10 Mbps until I reached Gold status, and I got the faster speed at no additional cost. Even then it was only around 35 Mbps or so. I was at the Bellagio in Las Vegas last week, and their WiFi was actually over 200 Mbps when I ran speedtest on my phone. I guess for those prices they can afford faster guest Internet. 😄

EDIT: I have a travel router, but it's always hit or miss if I can get it to connect to the hotel WiFi and let me bridge my devices. My method of using a PC for connection sharing was rock solid the four months I was there.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos