Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haptrail
Level 8

erratic connectivity for roku, but all other nearby devices connect

Jump to solution
I have a recurring but intermittent loss of internet connectivity with my rokus - the connection will just mysteriously fail and restore without intervention. 

I use a roku ultra with a downstairs tv, both of which are wirelessly connected to my AT&T Uverse 5268AC router/modem located upstairs - it typically provides close to its promised 50 mgb download speed, and there is a Uverse Wifi Smart Home Extender by the downstairs Roku and TV which mostly show an excellent signal when connected.

The roku ultra typically works fine (although there is some freezing specifically with the Apple TV plus app only) until it will suddenly lose its connection to the local network.  While it cannot connect, all other devices (upstairs and downstairs), including the dowstairs smart TV with the same apps, connect fine showing an excellent signal.

To troubleshoot, I try the failing roku ultra (from dowstairs) on the upstairs tv and it connects fine.  To further troubleshoot, I try a different roku ultra and a roku streaming stick (they both connected fine with the upstairs TV) but they also can't connect downstairs.  So I conclude the problem is not a defective roku ultra, put one of the ultras downstairs, and now it connects fine (after failing just prior) ... until it invariably again fails to connect.  

Once before when this happened, I was able to connect the Roku Ultra downstairs to a nearby Iphone's cellular connection.

When I do have a connection failure as described above, I can disconnect it, reboot the router, and regain the connection... until it fails again.  

But I do not conclude the router is the problem because everything else maintains a connection fine both upstairs and downstairs.  I don't think the TV plays a role because it's just a dumb monitor it this scenario, right?   As I stated before, I don't think the rokus are the problem because they consistently connect just fine - upstairs.

Any thoughts on this?  Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
haptrail
Level 8

Re: erratic connectivity for roku, but all other nearby devices connect

Jump to solution

Yes, I do use my phone as a remote (my wife has the actual remote by her), so thanks for the heads up on that.  I'll let you know what happens when I try it.  Amazingly, it's gone a whole few days without disconnecting, so I'm just waiting for that to happen again.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

What Wi-Fi channel is the problem one using?  Check under Settings->Network->About.  AT&T likes to use the same SSID/network name for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.  The one farther away from the router may benefit from using 2.4GHz, but there's no way to get it to do that other than using separate SSIDs for 5 vs 2.4GHz.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
haptrail
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks for your info - I thought I replied earlier but I don't see it here.  All the Rokus have a disconnect problem in the same location, but not elsewhere.  The one currently downstairs (problem location) is using a 5 ghz radio.  So if want this roku in this location to use the 2.4 (channel 149), is there a way to specify that within the router or roku settings?  If not, is there a way to create more than 1 SSID to facilitate that?  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Channel 149 is a 5GHz channel.  2.4GHz uses channels 1 through 11 (in the US), so if the Settings->Network->About page already shows that it's using one of those channels it's already using 2.4GHz.

My AT&T router is at http://192.168.1.254 .  See if you can access your router at that address.  It's a local address, so you can just click on that link.  I have an Arris BGW210-700 router, so yours may be different.  Under the Wi-Fi settings under Home Network you can change the SSIDs.

0 Kudos
haptrail
Level 8

Jump to solution

Maybe I wasn't clear, but the troublesome roku location IS using the 5 ghz radio.  So I've enabled the guest network on the router which uses the 2.4 ghz and the next time the roku cannot connect to the local network, I will try to connect it to the guest network to see if that works.  I'm somewhat familiar with the router settings, and I see where the SSID is enabled, etc.  I just don't know how to create an additional SSID, but it seems like the guest network might suffice.  Is there documentation somewhere on how to create an additional SSID for the roku, or I have misunderstood your suggestion?  Thanks again.

renojim

Jump to solution

@haptrail wrote:

Maybe I wasn't clear, but the troublesome roku location IS using the 5 ghz radio. 

That's what I expected.  That's why I suggested trying 2.4GHz.

What's the model number of your AT&T router?  On mine, under "Advanced Options" under the Wi-Fi settings you can set a different SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  It will scold you about how you're not using recommended settings and you may even get an email from big brother (AT&T) about the same thing.  As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be spying on me like that, but that's the topic for another discussion.

0 Kudos
haptrail
Level 8

Jump to solution

My router is a 5268AC, but I see what you're saying in advance options:  I can assign a different SSID to the 2.4 ghz radio.  I've read somewhere that that can turn off the automatic steering (which I suppose is what you were referring to).  I know I don't want to have to figure out which frequency works best for each device, so I'd rather not lose that "smart" technology.  But it also seem that if I assigned a different SSID to the 2.4, it wouldn't keep any device from using it that was using it previously. 

Still, rather than mess with that, don't you think using the guest network for the ornery roku would provide the 2.4 for it without upsetting the steering - that should work right?  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

It's definitely worth trying, but one thing to be aware of is that the guest network is probably isolated from your main network so using the app on your phone to control that Roku (if you do that) probably won't work.  But it will at least tell you if using 2.4GHz helps at all.

haptrail
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, I do use my phone as a remote (my wife has the actual remote by her), so thanks for the heads up on that.  I'll let you know what happens when I try it.  Amazingly, it's gone a whole few days without disconnecting, so I'm just waiting for that to happen again.

0 Kudos
haptrail
Level 8

Jump to solution

It took a few days, but the roku finally failed to connect.  First I tried reconnecting and it still failed.  Then I tried to connect to the guest network and it succeeded right away.  SUCCESS!  As you warned me, my phone wouldn't work as a remote, but when I switched my phone to the wifi guest network, then it did work as a roku remote.  So we'll just have to see if it fails to connect again (to the 2.4 ghz) to fully conclude that this is the solution, but I'm optimistic.  Thanks again for all your help with this!

0 Kudos