Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

configure wifi streaming stick no remote but can connect using a PC

I accidentally reset my Roku Streaming Stick (SN: 5S56AL143516, maybe a model 3600), but cannot reconfigure as my remote (wifi) broke long ago. Have been using an Android app to use the stick, but that's no good for the initial configuration. I'm able to connect my PC to the Roku stick using a wireless USB stick, and can even pair it to the stick using the WPS button. I know the initial address of the Roku stick (172.29.243.225) and it's assigned my PC (wireless connection) 172.29.243.226. I can ping to the stick, and doing a port scan, I see only port 8080 open. There's got to be a way to configure it using my PC as I could either communicate with the HTTP protocol, or even at the TCP/IP level if necessary. But I can't find any documentation on the protocols and commands to use. Help!!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: configure wifi streaming stick no remote but can connect using a PC

Of course right after I ordered a replacement, I figured it out. Googled port 8080, and got some clues. Turns out the protocol used is Telnet. Just telnet to the gateway, but use port 8080, not the default. Type in "press", and you'll get a list of the commands you can use. For example "press r" would move the cursor to the right. "press s" selects the option or character where the cursor is. I was able to connect and am waiting on the channel updates to complete. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: configure wifi streaming stick no remote but can connect using a PC

It's always been assumed/stated that Rokus don't support WPS, so I'm surprised you got that to work.  The port 8080 thing is well documented, but useless if the device isn't connected to your network.

0 Kudos