Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
b23zombie
Level 7

a question about getting a new internet provider?

i finally gave up on my present provider after almost 30 years, and start with a new one in 3 days. do i need to "unlink" the old provider's modem before installing the new provider's modem?  

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
andyross
Level 16

Re: a question about getting a new internet provider?

The Roku won't care about what ISP or modem it's connected to. If you are using WiFi and the gateway is rented from your ISP, then you will need to reconnect to the new gateway. If you are using your own modem or gateway and it will not change, then the Roku should not see a difference.

0 Kudos
b23zombie
Level 7

i understand that i have to connect with the new gateway, but do i need to do the" unlink"  thing with the old modem before connecting the new one? i'm new at this, we had the same provider for 30 years, i don't really know how all of this works. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

If you set the Wi-Fi SSID and passphrase on the new router to be identical to the current one, then your Roku and all your other Wi-Fi devices probably won't even notice a change.  (This is usually the easy way in general - ie: enter the old password once on a router vs having to enter a new one on every connected device.)

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Your Roku is linked to your Roku account.  There is no need to unlink due to a change in internet providers.

You are not "linked" to your router, you're merely connected to it.  When the new router is up and running you just need to connect your Roku to it.  From the Roku home screen the menu path for this is Settings - Network - Set up connection.

What CAN change is if your old internet provider was also the provider of your cable tv services.  The streaming apps for many "cable-type" channels require you to authenticate with a tv provider to prove you are paying for the channel's services. Once you cancel our old internet provider, you'll need to authenticate those channels with credentials from your new provider.

Likewise, if you have any premium subscriptions purchased and paid through your old provider (movie services, etc) you should cancel them before you leave that provider as you won't be able to use them on the new service.  You'll then need to resubscribe to any you wish to continue. 

Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos