Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keanderson90
Level 8

Xfinitywifi no longer showing as connection

I am no longer able to find xifinitywifi as a connection option. It is the public hotspot network, but I’ve been connected to it via my roku for the past 2 years without a problem. I’m currently connected to that network on my phone, work laptop, and personal laptop. I’ve even tried to type it in and go through the dorm/hotel option, but it won’t even give me that option. Does anyone have any suggestions that doesn’t include purchasing WiFi?

31 Replies
Kbeaubs
Level 7

Re: Xfinitywifi no longer showing as connection

Same problem here.   Just started last night.  We've done everything imaginable to fix.   Just bought new Roku Premier and am loading it up now.  Xfinity hotspot still not showing. 

Jelly_bean
Level 7

Same issue as well. Was working just fine then all of a sudden it disappeared and I can find it on there. Any fixes?

Qordole
Level 7

Same issue here, started last night.  I’m wondering if they shut off b/g/n compatability because my 802.11a devices still see it

0 Kudos
Emarie
Level 7

This problem started yesterday with me I restarted the whole device and still nothing any thoughts ?

0 Kudos
Ariel83383
Level 9

Has anyone figured out a fix for this yet i chatted with both xfinity and roku and neither could help me it like they didnt understand what I was saying 

0 Kudos
Kmac64
Level 7

It's no longer showing for us as well. Even went and bought a new one thinking that was the problem. 

Has anyone having an luck?

0 Kudos
andyross
Level 15

I have read that Comcast is shutting down the 2.4GHz xfinitywifi hotspots. They are only supporting 5GHz now.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33004677-Did-Xfinity-turn-off-2-4ghz-hotspots

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

@andyross wrote:

I have read that Comcast is shutting down the 2.4GHz xfinitywifi hotspots. They are only supporting 5GHz now.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33004677-Did-Xfinity-turn-off-2-4ghz-hotspots

Roku Express/Express+ and Premiere/Premiere+ are budget models that have single band Wi-Fi radios that only support the 2.4 GHz band.  They cannot even see the 5 GHz band, let alone connect to it.

More information: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/How-can-I-get-an-xfinitywifi-hotspot-to-resume-broad...

It sounds to me like Comcast is having issues they don't know how to deal with that have neutered many Rokus.  It seems mostly to affect their hotspots, but there's one guy in that thread who says his home router is affected as well.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
QkTreasures
Level 8

So I'll share what I did to make it work. So on my Android LG V60 I set up and turned on Wi-Fi hotspot sharing from under mobile hotspot settings. It says Wi-Fi sharing, share the internet from a Wi-Fi network instead of mobile data.

Then I signed into Xfinitywifi on my phone. Next I selected my WiFi network name and just logged into my T-Mobile V60 Wi-Fi hotspot with password that I selected. I did notice that for some reason that my wife's T-Mobile OnePlus 8 can't do this same thing even tho they are both on Android 10. I'm guessing it's a OnePlus issue because other people on Reddit with OP6T & 7 we're complaining about the same problem. 

However you should be able to do this with using a app such as NetShare - No Root - Tethering which basically does the same thing but gives you a time limit unless you pay $8 for the pro version. But I haven't tried and tested this method yet on my wife's phone or another phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kha.prog.mikrotik

I did try to do the same with my iPhone XR work phone but it appears iPhone can't do this either. I also haven't tried to look for a iPhone app yet that works like Android basically turning your phone into a repeater or router extender. If anyone knows of a good iphone app that does the same thing please let me know.

Lastly I suppose you can use a Wi-Fi extender/repeater device such as Netgear EX6100 which I picked up at Walmart a few years ago on clearance for like $20 or less. You can also use a old router that supports bridge mode to do the same thing as a Wi-Fi extender or repeater.

So the reason I decided to do this was because we keep hitting our Xfinity 1.2 TB limit. When connecting this way thru Xfinitywifi in our house it doesn't count against our data limit which is kinda of a workaround loop hole I think. Sorry for the long post and God's Blessings.  PS: Happy New Year