Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RUGGER1
Reel Rookie

Xfinity hotspot connection

I am in a campground that has an Xfinity hotspot available, my phone connects just fine but my roku does not even list it as a selection.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Xfinity hotspot connection

@RUGGER1 

Which Roku device do you have? Model number is important. Settings > System > About

Some older and entry level Roku devices only support 2.4 GHz networks, and then, only 802.11 b/g/n

Xfinity is notorious for both turning off 2.4 GHz networks, as well as for changing the 2.4 GHz band settings to g/n, which will prevent Roku from connecting.

Keep in mind that many of these Xfinity hotspots are actually riding the Xfinity routers in people's homes, and settings there could impact how well a Roku connects, particularly the entry level models.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
RUGGER1
Reel Rookie

I have the 3xpress plus

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@RUGGER1 

I don't suppose it matters if it's the model 3710 Express+, the model 3910 Express+, or the 3931 Express+ as those all are 2.4 GHz b/g/n only. If the network is g/n, they won't connect. If the network is 5 GHz, it won't see it (and won't connect).

If it's a different model number that includes both "Express" and "+" such as the Express 4K+, that will connect to 5 GHz band networks. You see why I specifically asked for the model number, right? That will make assistance much easier if we know which model number it is, because of the different features of each device.

If it's one I listed in the first paragraph, that may be the explanation. However, we'd need to know the details about the network, such as band (2.4 GHz) and standard (b/g/n).

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

For a year or so, there have been comments on the Xfinity forum about 2.4GHz on Xfinity hotspots being disabled.  No announcement or rationale – just seems to have happened.  Then again, they never announce turning it off on people's home networks either. 

kristaevans
Reel Rookie

Based on what the others said, there may be a compatibility issue between your Roku device and the Xfinity hotspot, particularly if your Roku device only supports 2.4GHz networks, and that specific hotspot only has 5GHz or is in g/n mode.
According to multitechverse.com, some older and entry-level Roku devices only support 2.4 GHz networks and only 802.11 b/g/n. Also, Xfinity is known for turning off 2.4 GHz networks or changing the 2.4GHz band settings to g/n which will prevent Roku from connecting.
It's important to check your router and network settings, you could double-check that your hotspot is on 2.4GHz and that the network type is set to b/g/n. Also, you could try to connect to a different Xfinity hotspot, or perhaps a different hotspot altogether.
You might find it helpful to check the settings of your device and the settings of the network and make sure they're compatible. I hope this helps, and let us know if there's anything else we can assist with.

I am also having this exact same issue. I select Xfinitywifi (a hotspot), and I get a green check mark in both boxes for it wireless connection, and internet stability. It then shifts over to searching for updates and buffers until the timer runs out. Never asks me for a password. Never asks anything.

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @VerySadPanda,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We understand you are having difficulties connecting your Roku device to the Xfinity hotspot. We would like to know how to identify and resolve any network issues.

Please try disconnecting the Roku device from the TV and Wall socket and reconnecting again and restarting the mobile and trying connecting, If still the issue exists do let us know.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: How to find your wireless network name and password | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

I have this issue too!! I've been using an xfinity hotspot connection for over 2 years, no problems. I updated HBO to their stupid MAX and now none of it works. I had to spend an hour on the phone with my tv's (TCL) customer service to get it out of the infinite "searching for updates" loop. It will connect using my phone's hotspot, but I cannot connect to xfinity. Frustrating!

0 Kudos